Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Blown head gasket

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blown head gasket

Alright guys I am new to this truck scene so I need some help! I bought a 1996 GMC Sierra and at the time it had a blown head gasket. A friend replaced the headgasket without resurfacing the heads. During this time when I would step on it, the truck would hesitate to pick up (it felt like it was gasping for air then it would finally pickup and go!) Now 3mos. later, the truck is passing water through the exhaust pipe about a HALF A COURT A Minute.
Any thoughts or suggestions would help!
Thanks!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi RobertV34,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

First things first. Is it "water" or is it engine coolant?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

hey thanks for the warm welcome! Yes it is water! I didnt put coolant in the radiator and its throwing out water crazy! could it be a cracked head or just because they didnt resurface the head like i told them!!!! I HATE cutting corners!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

OK, so what you're stating is you've been running it on water for three months, and now it's started spitting water into the exhaust.

At the rate it's kicking out coolant water(we'll just assume for the sake of troubleshooting)
you should notice a loss in your coolant tank or radiator. Is the level going down in your cooling system?

Even if you've been running water, over three months, that water should have picked up the smell of coolant or dirt in the system. Can you determine if it's actually coolant"water" coming out the exhaust?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Yes sir it smelled sweet so thats how i knew the head gasket, but at that much water coming out do you think the heads are cracked or just because the warped heads? And yes I had to add water it wasnt bad at first but now its bad! So i dont drive it..
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

There's the distinct possibility of another blown head gasket.

As it stands, the heads could be warped or cracked, or even the block could be cracked.

A compression test prior to disassembly, dial gauges, zyglo dye, and a VERY careful inspection of the head and gasket surfaces to determine the source of the cooling jacket leak may be in order.