Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

BlueTooth without OnStar subscription?

Old November 3rd, 2012, 9:28 AM
rlj
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlueTooth without OnStar subscription?

I have searched, but didn't find any answers. I have a 2012 Silverado LT with Bluetooth and onstar. I really don't want to pay the ridiculous(to me) monthly fee for onstar when trial expires. Bluetooth on my cell works well now. When I let Onstar expire, will the Bluetooth/cell combination still work? I'm hard of hearing and the connection through the car radio audio is great.
Thanks,
Rich
Old November 3rd, 2012, 4:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj
I have searched, but didn't find any answers. I have a 2012 Silverado LT with Bluetooth and onstar. I really don't want to pay the ridiculous(to me) monthly fee for onstar when trial expires. Bluetooth on my cell works well now. When I let Onstar expire, will the Bluetooth/cell combination still work? I'm hard of hearing and the connection through the car radio audio is great.
Thanks,
Rich
Yes it will
Old November 3rd, 2012, 9:30 PM
CF Junior Member

RLJ,

Your bluetooth will still work. I have a 2011 with bluetooth and like it. Did not subscribe to onstar.
Old November 5th, 2012, 6:17 AM
rlj
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for answers

Guys;
Thanks a lot for the answers. I'm happy to hear that. While I really like some of the safety features of OnStar, I think that GM is ripping you off for their monthly prices. Maybe they will get Smart and price it reasonably and get a lot more users in base. They could still make the same overall profit.
Rich
Old November 6th, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Rich,

Skeeter5 and Kevinkpk are correct. Bluetooth is a feature of the vehicle and is independent from OnStar. You will still have the ability to use this if you wish to end your trial.

Should you decide not to continue with your paid service, your OnStar system will be deactivated. All services —including Automatic Crash Response and Emergency Service — will be shut off. Your vehicle will not be able to contact OnStar for help, even in a crash. The RemoteLink application and OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic emails also require a subscription.

You mentioned cost as a factor. I wanted to make sure you knew that there are different pricing options available and discounts for yearly or multiple year subscriptions. Also, some insurance companies offer discounts for having OnStar.

We'd be sad to see you leave, but if you do decide that after your trial you wish to cancel your OnStar subscription, you can call 1.888.4ONSTAR or push your blue OnStar button and ask an Advisor to cancel.

If you have any other questions, I am here to help.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 516pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=688><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 516pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 22016" width=688><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 516pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl64 height=21 width=688>~ Corbin, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old November 10th, 2012, 8:40 AM
rlj
CF Beginner

Corbin;
Thanks for the info. I will look when OnStar expires, but I haven't ever been in a crash after 55 years(or so) of driving, and I can get the car info off the DIC. I just think that paying anything over about $5 a month for the possibility of use is excessive. My insurance company says that they are selling the policy cheaper in my state, than makes any money for them now, so that's not a help either.
Rich

Last edited by rlj; November 10th, 2012 at 8:41 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old November 12th, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Rich,

I understand your decision. I just wanted to make sure that you had all the infomation available to help make your choice. If you have any other questions about OnStar, I am here to help.

~Corbin, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Originally Posted by rlj
Corbin;
Thanks for the info. I will look when OnStar expires, but I haven't ever been in a crash after 55 years(or so) of driving, and I can get the car info off the DIC. I just think that paying anything over about $5 a month for the possibility of use is excessive. My insurance company says that they are selling the policy cheaper in my state, than makes any money for them now, so that's not a help either.
Rich
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

I also let the OnStar expire and used the blutooth in the truck with no problems until I got a new phone. Not all phones will work with bluetooth chevy has in their vehicles. I have a 2011 2500 HD crew LTZ and my Samsung Brightside II will not pair with the trucks blue tooth. Tech guy at Verizon store found a list of phones that will work after 15-20 min of researching. I will have to wait until I replace my phone or you can buy a aftermarket bluetooth for around $100 the clamps onto the visor : (
Old August 5th, 2014, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

I think the OnStar and XM radio prices are ludicrously high. Like I really want to tack that onto the payment every month. I told the guy who sold me the car not to even bother showing me how to activate the free trials. If I worked at OnStar I would be embarrassed to try convincing people they were getting good value for their dollars. There is no reason their 'service' couldn't be automated, and most of it already is in things like Google maps turn by turn directions. That app, has a one-time cost of $0. If the airbags deployed, calling emergency services does not take a person. Shoot, for $10 a month you can put me on speed-dial, and enable locations on your phone and if you crash I will send help.
Nothing short of extortion. I had no idea GM was this bad. Also, to ensure I pay for XM radio, the 2012 Impala LTZ cannot stream audio over bluetooth. Like I said, embarrassing.

Last edited by All4Hoping; August 5th, 2014 at 7:18 PM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 Avalanche bluetooth

I have an 03 Avalanche. I would like to have my phone calls come through the speakers. Is there a way to do that with the onstar? It is expired. I got the truck used and have never used it so I don't know how to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BlueTooth without OnStar subscription?