Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bottom leaf spring moving

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom leaf spring moving

Hey I got a 09 Silverado which I bought last fall. I have been noticing a klunking kind noise when turning (especially when drifting lol) I noticed that when I grab the side of the box and shake it is the very bottom leaf spring moving, and rubbing on the leaf on top of it. I believe it is because the leaf was changed at some point, and the rebound clip is not tight enough around the leaf. I'm so annoyed that something as stupid as this is bothering me with my truck. The rebound clip is just a U shaped piece of steel with a bolt and spacer through the top. Does anyone know where I can get these clips? or how I can even get them off?
Old February 8th, 2014, 8:21 PM
CF Veteran

those are riveted to the leaf they use a cold hammer forged rivet .if you want to replace it with the same part the you have to disassemble the spring .but you can get what they call a quick clip , which is heavy sheet steel and clamp the spring together with a c clamp and hammer it together it is a two piece affair .Leaf Spring Kwik Clips, Leaf Spring Quick Clips Steel Replacement Bend Overs For Leaf Springs www.ATSSPRINGS.com
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Junior Member

so If I wanna remove the old one and replace with a kwik clip can I drill the rivet out, and cut the clamp off?
Old February 9th, 2014, 8:52 AM
CF Veteran

Default spring

you will have a hard time drilling out the rivet on the truck ,best if you do not want to remove the spring and disassemble the spring. just place the clip as close to the old broken clip (you can cut the old clip side bar's off )you may be able to spread the leaf's apart enough to cut the clip rivet off and drill it then punch the old rivet out .you will have to lift the truck put on jack stand's and lower the rear end enough to unload the spring pressure some.afterwards, make sure the the individual leaf's are not splayed out ,tap them back in place .c- clamp together and assemble the clamp around the leaf spring bend the clip over ,and reassemble truck to lower . after thought i assume this is not the clip on the very bottom leaf ? if so this will not work . a picture would help !