Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Brake issues

Old May 2nd, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues

I noticed the other day that when I hit the brake pedal it feels funny.. It still stops just fine, for the most part, and it doesn't shake or anything. But when I hit the pedal it feels normal for a minute then starts feeling like the brakes just totally let go for a minute and then grab back. I guess "spongy" (?). Like I said, it doesn't shake or anything and it's not just one end of the truck so I know it's not just the actual brakes, the problem is from the pedal to the wheels...I just don't know what that problem could be. I checked the fluid, changed the fluid, and it didn't help. Any suggestions welcome.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 8:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Check to see if you have any brake line leeks if not BLEED YOUR BRAKES FOR YOU GO FLYING.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

If you already did that. Is your master cylinder at your brakes ok and not leaking. If not then you could have something that got onto your pads and rotor that are making it spin offset now and then. I could tell you a few ideas but it be best to drive slow and just check the basics and post what you know back for others to help you on.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 8:59 PM
CF Junior Member

I haven't been able to bleed them, I need to go get the right stuff to do it. I know I don't have a leak at the master cylinder but it's possible that something is leaking somewhere else though...
Old May 2nd, 2013, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

I would try bleeding the brakes. You can get like 3 feet of rubber or plastic hose that can fit the bleeder valve for pretty cheap at any auto place and that be more than enough. Your going to want a 2nd person to help as one needs to press and depress the brake petal as well.. If you need to know fully on bleeding brakes just get back to me the only part would be closing the valve and then reinserting the end of the hose into fluid each time as you press and depress your brakes. The only other possibility I can see if you bleed the brakes, there is no leaks, is that you have a warped rotor. As in more than half the rotor is flush and one side goes in and your brake pad when pressed can only grip part of the rotor then grabs nicely as it spins around to the more flush side.