Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Brake Lights & Turn Signals Do Not Work

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2013, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Lights & Turn Signals Do Not Work

We have a '88 Chevy 1500 Extended cab that the brake lights and turn signal lights do not work on. The front turn signal lights do work, but the rear turn signal lights do not. We have the Hayne's manual for this year of truck, but it looks like the schematics are pretty general looking. We called the seller of the truck and he said to check the brake light switch. From what I can see there is a switch that is supposed to tell when the brake pedal is fully disengaged. It looks like a bumper that the arm for the brake pedal pushes against when it is not being engaged. Then there looks like another switch that attaches via a clip to the arm for the brake pedal and it is kind of a sliding switch if I'm looking at it right. Does anybody have any pointers on the best way to test these switches to see if either or both of them are contributing to our problem with our brake and turn signal lights? Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I found out some more information. Each tail light assy has 3 lights on it. Two of them on each side come on when the running lights are turned on and one of them comes in when you put the truck in reverse. None of them do anything when you put your foot on the brake and/or turn the turn signals in either direction. I removed the brake switch and tested it. When you depress the plunger on the switch it creates a short as it should. The weird thing though is that on the plug that connects to the switch, there is no voltage on either lead of the two-pin connector. I read on another forum that if you did not have any voltage to your switch, trace the voltage back to the fuse box and see where you lost it. Does anyone know between the light green and white wires that go to this brake switch, which one of those would be the one with the voltage? Better yet, anybody have suggestions on how I can find specific schematics for this truck? Thanks.