Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken gas tank skid plate

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2013, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken gas tank skid plate

I have a 2011 chevy silverado z71. This winter I noticed snow build up underneath my truck. I took a closer look and saw that my gas tank skid plate was broken near where it bolts to the frame and was acting as a wedge forcing snow up in between my gas tank and gas tank shield. I talked to the dealer and to gm warranty directly, both of whom refuse to cover this repair under warranty. I personally feel that the skid plate is subpar to begin with and the damage happened during normal driving conditions (for upstate Illinois anyway). I am looking for similar stories if there are any, and opinions on if this should be covered under warranty or not.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 9:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> insanityplea17,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Silverado vehicle. I would like to research this further. In order to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 23rd, 2013, 3:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with skid plates (and they are extensive) the mounting locations do not break under normal conditions. Of course, someone's normal may not be another person's normal. And I can understand why GM will not cover it.
However, the Silverado skid plate is not designed for banging on top of boulders or solid ground such as hard clay like the plates installed on some vehicles (like a Hummer).
Old March 23rd, 2013, 4:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ditto
never seen one break and I worked on pick-ups from the oil field. Seen them filled will dirt and gravel but not broken

Last edited by tech2; March 23rd, 2013 at 4:57 PM.