Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

BROKEN TIE ROD

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2008, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BROKEN TIE ROD

Broke a tie rod on my "like a Rock" chevy 2500 durmax diesel 4x4 pulling a 25ft boat out of a ramp. Can someone please explain how this can happen??? what is worse GRAND PRIZE CHEVY in MIAMI denied the warranty claim saying that it was bent before it broke. This truck has NEVER been off road or abused or anything besides highway miles. This is a major dissapointment for a truck i thought would last me several years.

I am not a ranter. I am someone who paid 40k for a truck to work. I am sorry to say it, but CHEVY is not a truck. It is a glorified car with a great diesel engine and a great transmission. Besides the seats, everything below your butt is crap.

I USED to love this truck. Now, I have to say it is the weakest POS I have every driven.

This isn't some fake story. It happened and the truck is currently at the dealership getting the tie rod replaced at MY expense.

Nelson
Old September 3rd, 2008, 3:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BROKEN TIE ROD

what yr is yo POS?
Old September 4th, 2008, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Listen, POS is a word I wouldn't normally use except for the fact that I am indeed very upset. The truck is a 2006 with less than 35,000 miles. Went to the dealer today to take some pics that I will upload soon enough and all they could come up with was that I had an accident with the car and am lying about it. Tie Rods don't break was the mechanics answer. When I told him that the front end suspension on these trucks is the same as on the 1500's and that Chevy's do in fact have higher front end failures than their competitors his response was "where is your front end certification?"

I am not here to bad mouth Chevy. I am here to let other people know that you better be very careful with certain dealers. Chevy stands behind their dealers to the detriment of their customers. I am one of those guys that needs and buys pickups. In a day when dealers are trying to GIVE away trucks, you think Chevy would stand behind those that purchase them.

It is a bonehead move. Can anyone help me in trying to get some kind of resolution. I already called customer service and they did in fact call the dealer. The only problem is that they just repeated to me what the dealer had already said basically.

If all we are gonna do here is talk about how infallible Chevy's are, then we are getting nowhere to making them a better product. My truck/car is far from being "like a rock"

Nelson
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
CF Active Member

I had a bad experience with a Chevy dealer who put that head gasket stop leak made by GM, for GM cars, into my radiator and it clogged up my heater core. Dealer tried to say my heater core was already partially clogged or it wouldn't have happened. I fought with GM Headquarters over it. They said "tough stuff buddy". I took that damn heater core out, cut it in half to get a cross section view and mailed it to GM. They threw me to the curb. You know, Chevy parts are cheap, plentiful and interchangable, far, far beyond Ford who changes crap every 2 years, but you had better know how to put them on yourself, because the dealer sure as hell aint gonna back it after the sale. It's possible your tie rod didn't get greased at the factory. Was the boot broke open? Did the guy at the quick lube pump too much grease into it and explode the boot?

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, sorry for what happened. $40K for a 06 model?? oy - way!! ever heard of craigslist?

anyways, what's done is done. if i were you, i'd just replace that tierod. it is easy DIY and you are killing yourself getting into pissing contest with dealership.

i don't think those trucks are pos. i have some, i know what a true pos is. they are just very hard to deal with if you are not a very mechanically inclined person with good hand skills and set of tools. but, so far, they are quite easy to work on, just BIG.
Old September 5th, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah man, just get a $35.00 tie rod from Auto Zone and a $65.00 front end alignment from Sears and be on your way with it like ukrkoz said....
Old September 5th, 2008, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry Nelson,

I'm truly feeling your pain, anybody else lose a waterpump on a Vortec or LQ4 at @24k? Happened to me in warranty, then AGAIN at 48k out of warranty. I guess I've been lucky, my dealer's been good about their warranty, if a little fah-reaky about the VIN. Lugnut-what's the VIN? Jack handle-what's the VIN? Used fart in the back seat-what's the VIN?

I hope you're not looking to Ford for help. I could give you some dealer-warranty nightmare stories about them. Talk about POS.

Not for nothing, but by chance was that vehicle ever towed? Some tow drivers put that damn rusty hook of theirs anywhere, and that could be how you wound up with a bent tie rod, possibly?
Old September 5th, 2008, 3:08 PM
CF Junior Member

If I were you I would pay them to fix it and then file a lawsuit in small claims court for the price they charge you. I seriously doubt that the Chevy dealer would appear in court, which I would assume means that you win the judgement. When you show up in court, bring in your paperwork showing that the tie rod should be covered under warranty and what you paid to fix it. I would bet anything that they will settle with you before risking the bad publicity or the expense of sending someone to court to fight it. If you really want to have your bases covered you should meet with an attorney ahead of time and he could make sure you do it right.The main part that I am unclear of is who to name on the lawsuit, i.e., do you name the local dealer or do you name the entire GM corporation. If you name the dealer I would be sure to send GM a copy of the court complaint.
Old September 8th, 2008, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Get those tie rods sleeved expecially if your locking it into 4wd and pulling a boat outta a ramp. Also i would get them sleeved just to be safe i have had every one of mine done. they bend like toothpicks. That diesel has alot of weight and power pushing in on those little bitty tie rods!
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

We are talking about a HEAVY DUTY DIESEL PICKUP right? Why would I have to take precautions against snapping a toothpick tie rod????? It is a bad design for heavy duty applications. Typical, IT WILL DO IN 80% of situations. Well, what if that other situation is going down the road at 70MPH? Really, I have lost ALOT of confidence in this truck. I'm not even HEAVY DUTY. I mean come on!

Quick Reply: BROKEN TIE ROD