Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Burnt Ecm Harness

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt Ecm Harness

My 1991 silverado just quit one day, hasn't started since. Won't spark. the plug that goes into the module on the distributor doesn't get any signal from the ecm. so i started looking at the harness and found a bunch of ends that were burnt(where the wires are spliced in the harness). I am in the process of replacing all of the splicings, but I have no idea what would cause the wires to burn up any way. The wires that were burnt up the worst was: the tan/black stripe(multiple splices on this wire); and one under the dash that goes from one red (on the side closest to the ecm)to red(or pink can't tell) and white
Someone mentioned a switch of some type in the altenator, but I'm not sure about that
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if those wires were burnt up i would have the ecm looked at buy a dealer you dont want to get it back together and burn them up again also the tan/w/ black stripe runs to your distributor so make sure that is alright and check your ignition and pickup coils
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

see if you can trace the burnt wires to a pinch\chaff point. If they are only burnt at the splice, there could have been a bad connection\corrosion at one point in time, and just by normal use, caused it to get hot, then eventually fail
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

First off thanks for the suggestions. The ignition is good, and i replaced the ignition module and put in a computer lying around that i know is good, and i had a new msd coil and distributor that i had bought a while ago, so i put those in, so the coil and pick-up coil are good. I pulled the entire harness out and the only problems were just like maybe 10 places where it was spliced that were burnt up.
I thought about the "switch" in the altenator that i mentioned before, and am wondering if maybe the altenator started pumping over 14 volts and overloaded the connectors. Let me know what you think about that, in the meantime I'm going to have the altenator tested at the parts store tomorrow
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got any more 350 computers lying around?
Old May 7th, 2009, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

nope, just the original and my one extra
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well, my altenator theory was proved wrong. And everything else looks good as far as i can tell, so tonight I'm gonna try to get everything put back together and start testing wires again