Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

c-1500 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2008, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-1500 won't crank

Hey I got a '97 C-1500 with 173,000 miles. It was running fine a couple weeks ago then it started to miss. I let it sit a couple days and then it didn't want to start and it backfired and would sputter but it would finally crank. I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs aNd the guy I bought it from said he changed the fuel pump and plug wires about a year ago. After I changed that it wouldn't sputter or backfire but it turns over then the starter makes a loud whinding sound and it feels like it wants to lock up. I don't have the money to keep buying different parts to find the problem and I can't bring it anywhere so what you think could be the problem?????????HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: c-1500 won't crank

is it whining after the engine starts... or whining while you are starting...if it is only doing it while you are starting check the battery with a battery load tester and see if the battery is still good... if the battery is good... then it would most likely be a bad starter, you can also check the battery with a voltage meter... put the meter on the battery terminals and check for 12+... and while someone tries to start the enigine see how far the voltage drops.. if it drops below about 9 or 10 volts instantly the battery is bad and needs replaced. if it holds around 11 or 12 volts and slowly drains as you crank the battery is good.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
CF Junior Member

I would check the timing chain as a slipped chain (jumped) can cause the engine to try to lock up when cranking. It will also cause the engine to spin faster and the starter to sound strange at times.
Old January 9th, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 93 Chevy C1500 and I had the same problem. The truck was running fine until I parked it at a store. If you still have all of your electrical (Radio, Lights, etc.) It's most likely not your battery or your starter. Mine wouldn't crank at all. I'd put the key in and turn it over and nothing at all. I tried getting a jump and that still didn't get it to turn over. I took the battery and starter to Kragen and had them test both of them. The tests proved that everything was okay. I was informed that it could be the wire going from the starter straight to the battery. I checked it out, sure enough it was that line. So maybe check that out. Also you can try putting a big screwdriver on the starter to create an arc which will get the starter to turn over and hopefully start the truck. Try looking it up to see if that's the problem. I'm not exactly sure how to create the arc but my dad did it on my truck and it started right up.