Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Improve MPG

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improve MPG

Hey, I have an 07 Silverado 4x4 with a 4.3L. Any sugestions to get better gas milage? I have a cold air intake and a tonneau cover. And for the most part i drive conservitive. Any tunes or bolt ons? Hypertech or something? Wouldn't mind a better throttle response and a few horses when I need it either. Ha.... Thanks
Old May 7th, 2010, 9:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well getting rid of the cold air intake would help a little.
I noticed when I installed my Airaid intake my gas mileage went way down.
Also make sure your air filter and fuel filter are clean.
You could blow compressed air throughout your engine and get all the crap outa there and it will run like new.
I forget what it is called... Blowback? Blowout? Something like that, I can't remember what the name of doin it is called.
try installing an AVS windscreen/bug guard on your hood, that helps a lil with areodynamics.
make sure your tires are properly inflated to the manufacturers suggested psi.
Also you could get a dynoJet power commander, take it to a shop and get it tuned.
If properly tuned in theory you could get better gas mileage (not sure if they make them for silverado's though)

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; May 7th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or look into blackbear tune.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi chvy24,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

When you go to Blackbear, be sure to tell them you want the chip tuned to economy, not power.Don't waste your money on a handheld programmer for improved mileage, unfortunately they're not going to help you much in that area. The CAI is supposed to help economy, unfortunately, the sad truth is the average person's driving habits change to negate that effect once the CAI is bolted on.

One trick I use is to SLIGHTLY (2 or 3 lbs, DONT GO NUTZ) overinflate your tires. Highway radials with a standard non-aggressive road tread are a big help,IF you don't take your truck offroad much. I love the 10-ply E-rated radials, because they inflate to 80PSI and they are really tough, curb-barkin', pothole-humpin' road tires, but I can't say for dead certain they help gas mileage, because I've never driven my vehicle without them for a comparison. The stiffest gas shocks you can stand to use also helps.

Most your improvements to increase MPG are going to add .75 MPG or less, so it's a cumulative thing. The tonneau cover is your biggest increase(1.5--3MPG). What's your differential gear ratio? It cost 2000$ but when I went from 410 gears to 342s, I doubled my mileage around town, and added @3MPG highway, due to lowered revs.

Wax that bad boy. Fleet tests in overland truck fleet surveys have proven your truck gets better mileage if it slips,rather than drags, through the airstream.

Change(not flush) your transmission filter at the proper interval. Synthetic lubricants help MPG a little, but it's been my experience that it's not as much as the manufacturers brag.(but every little bit helps)

Visit Ecomodders.com and have a gander at their "100 tips for improved gas mileage".

My CCLB had a factory rating of 11.5 MPG when I bought it. Now my economy runs show me at @ 18MPG. I used to get very nervous when I got to 1/4 tank of gas. Now it's no sweat.

Last edited by therewolf; May 8th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I'll def look into your sugestions.