Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter question

my uncle mentionted to me about cats getting clogged and causing problems he said he removed the cats on his truck and it run better now he said his check light stays on but its been on before he removed them he reported no change in fuel and a small change in power and sence in south louisiana they dont do emission checks i was thinking about doing it myself but i have these questions first

my truck has 260000 miles on it how do i kno when and if they get clogged
also if i take them off just to do it will it hurt my gas millage, power, or will i have any trouble with the sensors

my brother inlaw said if i wanted to do it he will weld it for me all i have to do is buy the pipe to replace the cat
Old January 16th, 2012, 6:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they the stok cats with that many miles? If so, I would because yeah they can get clogged with that many miles. I had mine clogged with 195k on my truck, cut em off and gutted em. Then rewelded em back up to give the look of havin cats since I have visual emissions. Although my check engine light didn't come on, it runs lots better
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
CF Active Member

yes they are the origanal for 260k thats why i was a little concerend when he started to say they get clogged i did think the motor seemed a little sluggish for a 6.0
since i dont have any emissions i could just put a piece of straight pipe in right?
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah if there's no emissions then it shouldn't be a problem with just a straight pipe, the CEL will be on though. Contact blackbearperformance. For 200 bucks they'll make that 6.0 scream
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
CF Active Member

It is a violation of federal law to tamper with emissions. It is specifically stated not to remove catalytic converters that function properly and to only replace with approved converters.

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced
with “converter replacement pipes” by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even
prohibit private individuals from installing “converter replacement pipes” on their own vehicles.
Anyone who installs such pipes would violate RC section 3704.16 and section 203(a)(3)(A) and
(B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).
There is a reward for turning someone in, so you probably shouldn't tell anyone you have broken the law on a public forum.

Use a vacuum gauge to determine if the Cats are clogged. See THIS
Old January 16th, 2012, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

well i guess its a good thing that i dont have my name anywhere on here or my adress it sucks that on a forum where people can ask questions get threaten with being turned in im not saying anyones going to do it but its pretty low for thatmany people have talked about the same thing on forums and nothing happend to them
and i never said it was done

and im planning on getting the tune once i get all the mods i want done so this will probably be one of the last things i do
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Active Member

All they need is Cpb200.

I was just warning you not to admit to anything illegal on the WWW.

But, since you want to be a _____, maybe I will turn you in.

How do you know nothing has happened to those that admit to violating laws on the internet.

Any search for Catalytic Converter Removal will have many responses mentioning that it is against Federal law.

I gave you a link to show you how to diagnose your engine problem with a vacuum gauge, but don't bother thanking me.
Old January 18th, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

calm done dude its so dumb that people get all offenceive over an internet site and im not being what you think we all know its illegal i didnt mean anything against you or anyone else i just siad it sucks that they have people who would do that and yes i did look at the link and gave thought into thank you for that

im still thinking about it and getting ideas but seriously calm down its a forum for people to express them selve and not get shot down
Old January 18th, 2012, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator

I've got mine out like I said, so does oh say 4 of my friends and half the people in my town with either lowered trucks or lifted muddin trucks. I should have done it long ago when I first noticed a power loss from them bein clogged. But like said, use a vacuum gauge to test em to see if they are bad, if so take em out