Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Caught my DD truck bed on fire, liner is junk now, help!

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 11:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught my DD truck bed on fire, liner is junk now, help!

Someone threw a butt out the window and it landed in my bed as I was going down the interstate. It ignited some old garage door operator boxes and blazed up to my rack where it caught the stuff up there on fire too. Ruined a lot of tools, including the handle on my welder, etc.

What's really got my stumped though is how to get the liner off now...it's ruined, but it's also hardened or something now because of the fire. I need to get this junk off because I'm going to get a new liner and need a new rack. Tried chiseling at it with a paint scrapper and I swear it's laughing at me. I wish I had some pictures because it's gross, but I'm probably the only person alive without a camera phone.

Also looking at getting a Dualliner this time since it's cheaper than having the respray --- http://www.dualliner.com/shoppingcar...-foot-Bed.html

Do you guys think I could just put it on top of the damaged spray-on?

Last edited by CK66; March 20th, 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:40 AM
CF Active Member

that's what you get for tossing a cigarette butt out the window - too bad it didn't burn your truck to the ground...............

that's littering - grow up and become a responsible human being
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better to get all the burnt stuff off. Drill with wire brush and or grinder is your best bet.
Old March 20th, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richardx2
Better to get all the burnt stuff off. Drill with wire brush and or grinder is your best bet.
What about aircraft remover? I was wondering if anyone used that getting their bed liner off before...
Old March 20th, 2014, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK66
What about aircraft remover? I was wondering if anyone used that getting their bed liner off before...
Have never used any aircraft chemicals. You are going to repaint the bed before installing the bed liner right?

Last edited by Richardx2; March 20th, 2014 at 3:10 PM. Reason: left out info
Old March 20th, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richardx2
Have never used any aircraft chemicals. You are going to repaint the bed before installing the bed liner right?
I think I'm going to have to either way. We used to use Aircraft remover to melt the bond off of project cars, LOL.

I ordered the Dualliner system for my 01, I did a ton of research on it after I posted this, I'm glad I found it too because it doesn't ruin your paint like spray on liners and it's form fitting...probably better for my work too.
Old March 20th, 2014, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Post a pic if you can, would be interested in seeing the bed...
Old March 21st, 2014, 6:56 AM
CF Junior Member

I will later today. I was chipping at it last night and it's really brittle, so I don't think it'll be so hard to get off...then I'll put that removable kit on there this time, always wanted to try that.
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Testing to see if I attached the picture right...also, DL sent me information about removing the old liner How to Remove A Spray-In Bedliner - DualLiner Bedliner Blog

Edit, nope, pictures didn't attach, regroup.

Last edited by CK66; March 26th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Make sure you put down some sort of protectant for the paint before you put that liner in, that way it doesn't rust through or anything once it's in. Also, let us know what you think of the Dualiner, I've used them before and found them to be awesome!

Quick Reply: Caught my DD truck bed on fire, liner is junk now, help!