Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

CB and PA questions, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB and PA questions, NEED HELP!

I want to but a Cb in my truck along with a PA system, What is the best Cb out there, what would y'all prefer. And I wanted to mount the antennas to the headache rack, is there a certain way I should do that and a certain length that works best? As far as PA whats the best and how do I make it sound the loudest and the best possible?
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dxp2013
I want to but a Cb in my truck along with a PA system, What is the best Cb out there, what would y'all prefer. And I wanted to mount the antennas to the headache rack, is there a certain way I should do that and a certain length that works best? As far as PA whats the best and how do I make it sound the loudest and the best possible?
If you are looking to order something online I would recommend FLT Distributing, at CB Radios & CB Antennas From Cobra Firestik Uniden K40 | FTL Distributing One of the best sites I have found for a complete selection of radios and antennas. Cobra and Uniden are popular models for CBs, I personally have a Cobra and it has never let me down. They sell mounts that you will be able to bolt onto your headache rack. As far as length, the longer the antenna, the more range you will get with the radio. They also sell PA speakers, with those you are going to get what you pay for, so better quality is gonna come with a higher price tag.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the mount called for a headache rack mount called? I cant find it on the sight.
Old April 24th, 2013, 3:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dxp2013
Whats the mount called for a headache rack mount called? I cant find it on the sight.
For a headache rack I would use the side mount brackets here, this also comes with the coax cable you will need to hook up the antennas right away.

Firestik Dual Mirror or Side Body CB Antenna Mount Kit | FTL Distributing

Its up to you how you want to mount them. You wont use the curved piece, that is for mirror mounts. You can bolt the bracket straight to the headache rack, drill and tap threads into the headache rack, or just use a couple self-tapping screws to secure them.
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cb's are a matter of opinion. I guess it depends on what you use it for, as a truck driver about all the more they are used for anymore is where your loading/unloading or you pass someone you know. Most of the guys I know that ain't truck drivers just run the little black box midlands or the like.

I've currently got a Galaxy in the truck, cobras are fine radios too, I've had a few and loved them all. Connex seems to be a popular brand. pretty much all cb's have a pa function. For that just get you a high end pa speaker and your set.

Trust me you can dump good money after bad in cb's. If you go expensive be mindful of SWR's or you'll just junk the cb.

Oh antennas I used to run a 102" whip with good effect but made drive thru's fun trying to clear lights sometimes. Wilsons are good, firestix too. Some are tuneable to get your SWR's as low as possible.

Mounts have already been explained, you can get creative there too, but keep in mind if you have a bottom load antenna you don't want to have it next to a flat surface which wouldn't be an issue in your headache rack.