Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Change rim size

Old February 24th, 2011, 2:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I disagree on that cause it depends on what kind of wheels you are getting, not all alloy wheels are made the same way = not all of them weigh the same as the stock ones!!!!!!!
Plus you don't really get the same mpg with just any wheel-tire set up unless they really weigh the same and are the same over all size.
On the other hand it is harder for you to turn a truck wheel than it is a bicycle one, even though the big wheel covers more terrain than the small one, thus there has to be a balance, in other words: "engine horse power+wheel size+tire weight+wind+truck weight+road conditions+driver habits etc. etc. etc.= mpg"
About removing the TPMS fuse, I don't know b/c that might trow a code at time of inspection but I might be wrong, maybe someone else can answer that.
In conclusion yes you have to pay to look good, or otherwise stay with stock and look just like another truck on the road!!!

Last edited by QUETRANPA; February 24th, 2011 at 5:13 PM.
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QUETRANPA
Well I disagree on that cause it depends on what kind of wheels you are getting, not all alloy wheels are made the same way = not all of them weigh the same as the stock ones!!!!!!!
Plus you don't really get the same mpg with just any wheel-tire set up unless they really weigh the same and are the same over all size.
On the other hand it is harder for you to turn a truck wheel than it is a bicycle one, even though the big wheel covers more terrain than the small one, thus there has to be a balance, in other words: "engine horse power+wheel size+tire weight+wind+truck weight+road conditions+driver habits etc. etc. etc.= mpg"
About removing the TPMS fuse, I don't know b/c that might trow a code at time of inspection but I might be wrong, maybe someone else can answer that.
In conclusion yes you have to pay to look good, or otherwise stay with stock and look just like another truck on the road!!!
Nothing you said here is accurate. ALL wheels are made the same way on passenger cars. They are all drop forged from molten metal into a mold. Removed from the mold, and CNC finished, polished or machined, final stage is painting. Even the wheels that are riveted together are done so after the tire is mounted. And furthermore in most instances Alloy wheels are lighter than stock wheels because most stock wheels are steel. That is the point of using the alloy. They can make the same designs using steel wheels but the weight of the wheel would be prohibitive, so they use mixtures of lighter stronger metals(which can be a combination of steel, magnesium, manganese, aluminum, titanium, zinc, chrome, etc). Each and every wheel has a maximum curb weight embossed on the inside of the wheel.

TPMS will never throw a code because it is only a pressure transducer in the valve stem and a antennae in the dash that activates the light. If you remove the fuse then the antennae cant turn on the light.

The tire size has nothing to do with mileage, it will compromise driveability and may throw off the speedo. If the car weighs 5320 lbs. with 17" and is shaped like a brick, the tires have little to do with mileage. All you gain from a larger tire is better appearance and like I said the ability to literally cover more ground with each revolution. This allows you to cover more distance at a lower Engine RPM in the same gear.

I didnt understand the bicycle tire example, because every SUV I see since maybe 1969 has power steering.

Last edited by RacerX; February 25th, 2011 at 6:19 PM.