Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old December 19th, 2008, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

I purchased a 2001 C1500 2WD 5.3ltr with 115K miles. Since I don't know how well this truck has been maintained, I am changing just about anything that I can; fluids, plugs, wires, etc... I have seen awebpage on changing the automatic transmission fluid;

Remove one of the transmission cooling lines running to the radiator. Connect a tube to the end of the line, and place the end of the tube in a drain pan. Start the car, and let it idle for a minute or two. Transmission fluid should flow out of the cooling line, through the tube, into a drain pan. Turn the engine off as soon as the fluid stops flowing.

http://www.howtodothings.com/automot...ion-fluid.html

Sounds kinda risky to me, running the transmission dry, but it sounds like it completely drains ALL of the dirty fluid out versus just draining the pan, leaving the torque converter, and the cooling lines still full of the old fluid. Has anyone tried this method of changing the fluid?

Thanking you in advance!
Old December 19th, 2008, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

Well considering just how expensive it is to replace your transmission I think I would just pony up the 150 dollars to have it done correctly.
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here. listen. i may only work at a jiffy lube but there i learned a lot. and i went home one day and did homework on the idea of "is my work doing the right job and are we harming anything". turns out our trans machine does the right job. what i do is exactly what you said. we take the line off and hook it to our machine. then we take the other part of teh hose, put it to the machine as well. the first line (A) flows into teh machine pushing the plunger up and in that same moment the exact amount of fluid coming in is pushing new fluid out to line (B). thus a seemless fluid transfer. ive seen youtube vids of people taking the pan off, revving teh truck to **** out the fluid then turning it off fast and fillin it through the filler neck. let me tell you how bad and harmful it is. because theres no fluid going back into the trans to lube it it just falls. if you live in illinois and by bolingbrook by any slight chance let me know here and i can do your trans pan and fluid exchange. did it on my truck, and so many other vehicles. normally we charge 109.99 but we give discounts at like 80 bucks for it. althgouh we do charge up the *** for the filter replacement. 70 bucks but let me tell you. some cars are worth it god they are hard. but anyways i hope this helps you in making a decision.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You're never going to get ALL the dirt out, and to the average Joe, this sounds risky. My issue here is you never get a high-priority family distraction"Honey, the kitchen's on fire!Or "Daddy my neck's bleeding!" UNTIL you have to do something like monitor the draining of a running transmission.
But, I'm a little curious as to the cost of a new Tranny anyways, so anyone who wants to try this, be sure to post the cost of a new tranny here when you fail.
Old December 19th, 2008, 1:21 PM
CF Active Member

had my transmission flushed at 60K, was going to have it done again at 120K. At 105K pulled dip stick and checked color of fluidon a white napkin, it was dirty so I hadtransmission flushed again at 105K.

They use B&G transmission flush equipment, the cleaner thats used is B&G transmission cleaner. That's all I could get out of them as I am sure they did not know what cleaning agents were in the cleaner.

All I know is that vehicle shifts fine and works good.