Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Check engine light is on.

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 5:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the Check Engine Light is triggered by the infamous loose gas cap, will it eventually reset by itself or does it have to be manually reset?

Is there anyway to reset the codes without a code reader tool?
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spyncycle
When the Check Engine Light is triggered by the infamous loose gas cap, will it eventually reset by itself or does it have to be manually reset?

Is there anyway to reset the codes without a code reader tool?
Well you can always pull the battery cable off. But, if you take it to any major chain auto parts store ( I know Advance Auto and Autozone are do), they will read your check engine codes and reset them free of charge.
Old August 1st, 2012, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I imagine he already bought one as his post was September 2008. Thanks for the info though.
This is Bulldogman I ordered my part on or about July 28,2012 and just got it today August 1, 2012. It is the exact same part
Old November 25th, 2012, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Is this covered by 100,000 mile warrantee?
Old January 15th, 2013, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Same issue with my 08 Silverado. Dealership knows the problem and it is common. The part about dusty environments is garbage. They were going to charge $400 to fix. I carried it somewhere else and paid a little more. Between this, the speaker issue, hard shifting, and having to replace my discolored rear-end fluid at 27,000 miles, I really don't think I will buy another Chevy or GM product. It's a pitty. I thought I was doing good buying American, but Chevy doesn't give a darn about its customers. That's my soap box rant.
Old November 5th, 2014, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default gaz leaking near the charcoal canister

My pick up is leaking gaz near the carcoal canister, but only when the motor is running. Do yo have an idea?
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Check engine light on 2009 Silverado

The check engine light on my 2009 Silverado came on and I had Auto Zone read the code. He told me my my gas cap probably had dirt on the seal and if I cleaned it and the neck of the filler tube, it would turn off. Well it didn't so I went to the dealer and bought a new cap and that didn't make any difference either. Now I am wondering if it is one of those solenoids or a saturated charcoal canister. The dealer said that solenoid is on top of the gas tank and to test it, they would have to do a smoke test. My truck only has 37,388 miles, which seems too few miles to be having this kind of problem. Seems like it should be covered by warranty since it is emissions related. If the problem was caused by over filling the gas tank, does it ever dry itself out and cure itself, or do you have to pay the long dollar to fix the problem? Right now is not the best time of year to have a large expense. Would it hurt anything if I don't get it repaired? The truck seems to run fine otherwise.

Harv
Old January 4th, 2015, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Chech engine light on

Tech 2 asked what the code was that caused the check engine light. It was PO442 which from what I understand is a small leak of .020". I replaced the gas cap and that did no good. I checked the evap solenoid which is also OK. I don't know what to do or check next, Maybe someone knowledgeable in this area could give me some help. Thanks.

Harv
Old January 6th, 2015, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I still don't know where to go to find the cause of the check engine light (code PO442) on my 2009 Silverado 1500. I replaced the gas cap and checked the evap solenoid and it tested good but the light is still on after a week and a half. Note, this truck does not get a lot of miles as it is only driven about 2 to 3 times a week and usually for very short distances of about 6 miles. An Auto Zone guy read the code and when he checked it again after checking the evap solenoid and replacing the gas cap with a Chevy one, he said he couldn't reset it. I guess I can unhook a battery lead and reset it that way and see if the light comes back on. Any suggestions on what to do next? The dealer said they could do a smoke test for $60, so maybe I will have to go that route if no one has any ideas.

Harv