Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine light on

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on

I have a 2006 5.3 z-71 Silverado x cab with 143,250 miles. I haven't driven it much for the past 4 months maybe 300 miles in that period, this past monday I drove it for about 60 miles and everything was good, it was parked til Saturday and when I started it started to drive I noticed my check engine light was on, it stays on in idle and blinks when I am driving. I live in central California and the weather has been pleasant, any suggestions. My gas cap has not been removed for the past2 weeks but it seems to seal good.
Old January 13th, 2014, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Take it to an auto parts store and they have a device they can hook up to the truck and it will diagnose it and tell you where the signal is coming from. We used it alot so my father ended up buying one for us to use. but go to an auto store like pep boys or auto zone and tell them about it and they can hook up their machine
Old January 13th, 2014, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Chevy-guy 3. I did take it to a mechanic and the scanner said mild misfire. So I changed the plugs with oem ac/delco's and disconnected my battery to reset it the light but it's still on. I am replacing the wires tomorrow see what happens. It was due for a tune -up anyway. by the way the guy at the autozone here in central California said that California hasn't done scan diagnosis for over 7 years , he said it was a law.
Old January 13th, 2014, 9:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

get the misfire fixed pronto. misfire conditions destroy catalytic convertors.
Old January 14th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

No problem glad i could help! sometimes you just have to drive it for a while to get enough miles on it for the indicator to go out. but if you are positive that it is fine and it wont go off you can also get the indicator reset at the store
Old January 14th, 2014, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will put the new Belden wires today and see what Happens.
Old January 15th, 2014, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help!!!!

Originally Posted by tech2
get the misfire fixed pronto. misfire conditions destroy catalytic convertors.
Tech 2 do you have any suggestions for me? I just installed new oem plugs new (Belden ) wires I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and on restart the CEL went off but it came back on after a minute or so. What can I do next, I still feel a very slight miss when the tranny shifts to second gear, nothing harsh I just feel it's missing. What can I do next on my own, before I take it to a mechanic?
Old January 16th, 2014, 6:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you need to isolate the misfire to a particular cylinder. to do that, you need a scan tool that can access misfire counters.
Old January 16th, 2014, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by tech2
you need to isolate the misfire to a particular cylinder. to do that, you need a scan tool that can access misfire counters.
I will take it to a mechanic. Where can one purchase a good inexpensive scan tool? I know they can get expensive.
Old January 16th, 2014, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default 8th cylinder

Originally Posted by mibar
I will take it to a mechanic. Where can one purchase a good inexpensive scan tool? I know they can get expensive.
Took it to mechanic said it was the number 8 cylinder, so I will return it to him tomorrow to start working on it. What are the reasons it's misfiring, coil or what else can it be ? I sure hope it's not a valve or something drastic like that, I will see tomorrow.