Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cherry Bomb Glass Packs VS Straight pipes WITH Cat

Old May 30th, 2010, 1:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherry Bomb Glass Packs VS Straight pipes WITH Cat

I have a 95 Z71 350 currently running with straight pipes but the cat is still on there. I'm looking to quiet it down a bit, not spend to much money, and get some more backpressure. My first question is how much quieter will it get with just one glass pack on it? I'm only a sophmore in highschool so money is hard isn't plentiful. Would it sound ok to just do a Y pipe after the glass pack and dual it out the back? I want to have it look and sound good, but I'm not really sure if i can afford 2 glass packs as of right now between insurance and gas. Also, i noticed a slight power loss in my truck when i straight piped it, will this give me that power back with just the one glass pack? Also, if yall think the glass pack is the way to go, what size should i get? Thanks for all the help.
Old May 30th, 2010, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

you can get glass packs from summit for around 20 bucks apiece, so i would go with 2 and lose the cats, glass packs dont provide much back pressure though, so its hard to say if it will help you out any
Old May 30th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Junior Member

i deffinatelly wouldnt put a glasspack on a v8 personally i hate the sound its to poppy i dont like it my freind had a 350 in his 85 straightpiped with glasspacks and he didnt like it either. if you want a good sounding truck without breaking the bank go get yourself a flowmaster, they have them for 70 bucks right on the shelf, i am a junior in high school and have to pay for gas and insurance and jus saved up a little money and i stuck one on my truck with the cat, and all i did is cut the stock muffler off and stuck the flowmaster in its place, and its not too loud but not too quiet, it has a niice rumble too it, and its even on a v6! theres no pop too it it sounds gooood even on my 4.3, if you go with the y pipe or even keep the straight pipes go with the flowmasters. my freind put a cherry bomb glasspack on his blazer and it sounded good for about a week and then it just kinda lost the sound too it so get sum flowmasters dood.

Last edited by 97RedBull; May 30th, 2010 at 9:14 PM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever you decide do not take off the cat. You are getting most of the back pressure you have now from it. If the truck is OBD II (which it should be) the check engine light will come on if you remove the cat.
Old May 31st, 2010, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with MTAHOE, leave the cat on. Especially if you have emission testing in SC. I do believe that you have the last year of OBD-1 just like my Tahoe, but that's your only back presser right now.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I was never planning on taking off the cat, i know that i need that backpressure and i need the 02 sensors for my fuel ratio. As far as the sound of a glasspack, i like the pop sound that they have, i guess i'm just wondering if it will sound ok wtih just one glasspack on it? I have considered putting a flowmaster 40 on it, but i am just starting my job so i don't have a hole lot of money still. Thanks for all the input though.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

it really all depends on what kind of sound you like....if you like the snappy loud crackle when you mash it the leave straight pipes or a cherry bomb with dual 45's.....if you like a nice deep rumble with the crack at high r's go with flowmaster muffler
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

I like the rumble, but a buddy of mine has dual glasspacks and i like the sound of those. i'm basically lookin for the sound i have now with the straights, but alittle quieter.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
CF Active Member

check your local parts store and see if you can get a knock-off flowmaster. just ask and see how much a 2 chamber muffler is. my parts store has a flowmaster knock-off for $35 and if looks and sounds like one. it might be what your looking for right now.
Old June 1st, 2010, 2:04 PM
CF Junior Member

that actually sounds like a really good idea, thanks boss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb Glass Packs VS Straight pipes WITH Cat