Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cherry Bomb Glass Packs VS Straight pipes WITH Cat

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2010, 2:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did dual glass packs. I regretted that terrible sound so much i spent 110 and got a cherry bomb vortex muffler. i got the dual exhaust that goes to the passenger side and i hacked my muffler off and put on glasspacks one for each side. if you like a ton of rasp, nasty sounding acceleration due to crappy exhaust manifolds, then go for it. I will tell you man, it sounds terrible. and they rust so fast, you will not believe it. I had them for a year, and they turned to absolute rust. i took em off, and shook them, tons of rust and crap came out, and i just laughed. They would work with a resonator in the system i think, but i ran my truck straightpiped, and then glasspacks, guess what, there was almost no difference. I put that vortex muffler on, and i get so many compliments to a good sounding truck, and people like how its different from a flowcrapper muffler. personally, i hate flowmaster. sound bad, and too popular. but take my advice because i did it. and I was mad that for 40 bucks for both of em, they shoulda last longer, and not rusted to crap. besides they really do not offer any backpressure. straight through swirl dimple design. thats it.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get on craigslist, people sell mufflers all the time, you could prob trade something for one as well,
Old June 2nd, 2010, 9:52 AM
CF Junior Member

i do have to say i agree about the flowmasters beeing to popular, but with that said i'm only a sophmore so money is still tight so that might be what i go with. and i still have the entire pipe and muffler in my garage off of my truck, so i might check with them for trading that!
Old July 25th, 2010, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

im just a junior in high school, i had dual glasspacks on my 5.3 and i liked them alot. they just wasn't loud enough cruising, but when i got on it i loved them. now I have flowmasters super 44 and its good at idle and cruising but its not as loud when i get on it.
Old July 25th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Active Member

im a junior in high school with a basic job making 7.50/hr
im saving up to get either a flowmaster or a magnaflow muffler then doing turndowns
(but i dont want stupid load im just goin for the deep tone)
i do have to pay for my gas
(it sucks i have a 6.0 with a 34gal tank)
a friend of mine got the new style cherry bomb and put turndwns it sounded loud even inside the cab you couldnt here anyone even at idle
cherry bombs are cheap at the local parts place its 20-50$ depending on the style
flowmaster or magnaflow mufflers will run from 90-140$
Old July 26th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

if i was gonna do it again i would get the cherry bomb extreme instead of the super 44s but that's just me.
Old July 26th, 2010, 3:48 PM
CF Active Member

After you get it fixed and quieted down a bit; if it's still a bit too loud you can put tips that are honeycombed and they will quiet it down a little too.
Old May 9th, 2011, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 1991 Silverado with a 350 in it. i want to put straight pipes on it and keeping the cat on, but ive seen a lot of people saying something about getting the correct bends on the exhaust to help the back pressure? IDK what that is and i want to see if someone could help me out with that or any other suggestions like glass packs, and if so what kind would be best suited for this?
im looking for a way to make my truck sound very loud, without spending a lot of money cuz im only a Junior in High School.
Old May 11th, 2011, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the true dual glasspacks(12" ones is what I have) and 45 em out the back. flowmasters are terrible in my opinion with the drone inside the cab. y'all do know with glasspacks you're suppose to "crack" em right? gets rid of the high pitch rasp and pop FYI. and put a x-pipe on em to balance it. exactly what I did and they have a deep aggressive rumble at idle but when I punch it you kkow I'm comin, just without all that poppin and crackin
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

So inorder to "crack" them you gotta put an x-pipe?
Or is the x-pipe just to make it sound better, and cracking them a different process?

Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb Glass Packs VS Straight pipes WITH Cat