Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chevy Newb : electrical trbleshoot lights wipers

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2013, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Newb : electrical trbleshoot lights wipers

Newb here, appreciate any and all advice or tips:

Trying to repair a 1997 silverado my 17 yr old son just wrecked. Truck is 5.7 v8 auto with 150k miles and drove/ran great b4 he rear ended someone. An out of town body shop fixed major body issues and got it back on the road but I am now discovering everything they didn't do. Taking it back to them not an option as I am simply cutting my losses with them because the body shop owner is apparently a pathological liar.
Once I got it back I noticed several kinda humorous (not really) issues with headlights, wipers, hazard lights, horn, and steering wheel. A local mechanic replaced steering column which did fix steering issues. He felt that the wipers & light issue was due to a bad wiper pulse board and a burned light bulb. I replaced each yesterday.
OK, so here is the issue and what I think may be the problem. Looking for comments or advice : with headlights on low beams, switching to high beams will turn on the wipers (new board and high beam bulb replaced) . I just noticed yesterday that the entire windshield washer resevoir and pump system is GONE. I am wondering if the pump wiring is normally tied into these other circuits and since is now gone is leaving a circuit open and causing these issues ?

Sorry such a long post ? This is first chevy I've owned and it took me a while to even realize the body shopped had torn the resevoir out. I am sure it was damaged in the wreck, the body shop said nothing about it.
Truck actually still drives and runs great which is amazing so it is well worth the effort in fixing.
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like the combo switch or some call it wiper switch high beam switch. The turn signal switch which is wiper blade control and high beam control. Located in column. I say this is because I had a 1994 blazer with same issue.
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

When you get everything working I think you should talk to the Better Business Bureau about the "out of town body shop."