Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Clean the Engine?

Old December 9th, 2013, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean the Engine?

So I have a '96 c1500 with the 5.7. I've had it for about a year and put some good miles on it and never seemed to have any problems with oil leaking or anything under the hood. ...Apparently the guy I got it from couldn't say the same. This thing is disgusting. It almost looks like he took a quart of 5w30 and just dumped it all over the place and let dirt and other crap build up on it.
I have no idea how to clean it. I've heard to use some degreaser kind of stuff and a pressure washer (making sure to cover the electric parts), and I've heard some say that's a horrible idea. Anybody have a decent idea for this? the entire thing is just nasty aside from the spark plugs/wires, filters, a nice new tps and a couple little bits like that. Pretty gross...
Old December 9th, 2013, 6:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"GUNK" Engine Cleaner or Simple Green are pretty good at degreasing your engine. Just use a garden hose and try not to get too much water into the electrical parts.
Old December 9th, 2013, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

they make a degreaser that u can buy at a local parts store spray the whole can under the hood scrub what u can crank it srpay it while its running
Old December 9th, 2013, 7:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Do cover your alternator, avoid using too high of pressure water that could force its way into places you don't want water...
I use simple green, it works great... wash it when you don't need to drive it right away so that it has time to dry out... avoid washing it hot...
Its best to do the cleaning in stages, don't try to get to spotless in one wash...
I regularly wash my 07 's engine bay. I spray Amorall on all of the engine and under-hood area to give it a showroom look...I'll hit the plug wires with a bit of WD40 to displace any water...
Here is a picture of my engine after cleaning it up, she is over 6 years old and the engine looks like this right now...

The key is don't get crazy with high pressure, and let it dry... I would avoid doing it running, as you risk sucking water into the engine...
Attached Thumbnails Clean the Engine?-1-img_0892.jpg  
Old December 10th, 2013, 7:43 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually use the Gunk engine degreaser. But this summer I tried Simple Green because AutoZone had a 2 for 1 sale so I figured what the heck, people say it works real well. Compared to Gunk, Simple Green didn't cut the grease worth a crap. Use the designated engine degreaser, that's what it's made for. Go figure.
Old December 10th, 2013, 9:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a good point the "designated engine degreaser" vs the simple green, the simple green has worked for me but its always been general cleaning mild grease and oil... I buy it in concentrate but dilute it in a spray bottle with water...
Old December 10th, 2013, 6:28 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the simple green might cut through a layer of slime ok, but it didn't touch the heavier glop!
Old December 10th, 2013, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

If going with Gunk, I recommend the foaming version as it seems to hold on a little better than the original which runs off pretty quickly. Also if your engine is as bad as you say I would pick up 2-3 cans and stick with a garden hose to rinse it off. I prefer Purple Power over Simple Green but you can use either and I would recommend a bottle to clean the surrounding underhood areas. Don't delute it just spray out of the bottle, let stand a couple minutes, scrub with brush the stubborn ares, rinse and repeat if necessary. When clean I take an air hose and blow as much water as I can off.
Old December 17th, 2013, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Check out this link on a detailing forum that I follow regularly. This is a great site. One of the best forums I have been on.

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum