Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Clunking noise in steering column on 2003 silverado

Old January 27th, 2009, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise in steering column on 2003 silverado

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado that has a clunking noise in steering column and can be felt at low speeds going over bumpy terrain. Dealership replaced the intermediate shaft with the upgraded shaft free of charge but problem was still there. Several months later took it back they replaced bottom bearing on shaft (paid $219 labor & part) problem still there. Couple weeks later took back again had it out with service guy he rode with me (which they should've done the first time) and said it sounds like the tie rod bushings need replacing. He assures me that this will fix the problem but I have my doubts. After giving them an earful they're doing the replacement for free but I'm tired of taking my truck up there for the same problem. Having said all this does anybody think replacing the tie rod ends could possibly fix this problem?

Last edited by mojo; January 27th, 2009 at 3:23 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Mojo,

How long has it been since you had the intermediate shaft replaced ? GM has introduced several updates on these. The last ones seem to fix the problem.

Kenl
Parts Consultant
Reliable Chevrolet
Dallas Tx
Old January 28th, 2009, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

I bought mine new in 03 and have had my intermediate shaft replaced/repaired several times. I have not had any luck. The last time was about 6-8 months ago and it is starting to clunk again. I have found a company online that make aftermarket shafts that they garantee. the company can be found at www.borgeson.com

hope this helps
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT BUY BORGESON! problem comes back in about 4-6 mths. if you have to, buy NAPA, their design is completely different from OEM. it's flat on two sides.
grab your steering wheel on the top and shake vigourosly. If it cluncks, we share same problem - loose bearing in the connection or something, I just live with it.
do not replace parts - and pay for that - based on sweet talk or "it sounds like" assurances.
this is what you need to do:
1. check out your idler arm
2. check out your pitman
3. check out both hub bearings

I, personally, had to replace idler, then driver side hub. for 2003 and infamous GM quality, your hubs are about to go bad. Mine is 2000, but I bought it with only 58K miles, which is about same mileage you should have.

if you have at least some hand skill, idler takes about 25 minutes to replace. hub bearing, a single unit with hub, about same. pitman is said to require steering gear removal, unless you have racknpinion steering, so you don't have idler and pitman. good for you.
Old October 29th, 2010, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

bought 03 silverado new had clunking in steering there was a bulletin no recall they lubricated steering linkage and it fixed problem
Old November 1st, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

I just ordered the new updated piece from gmpartsdirect. Will this updated piece fix the problem? $45 bucks.
Old March 10th, 2013, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Grease it

Had the clunking noise in my column for a while. Removed the intermediate shaft to see if it was the problem, and it was in great shape. Pried the old bearing out of the back of the steering column and greased the crap out of it. Noise is gone.

Last edited by boatyman; March 10th, 2013 at 7:00 AM.