Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Hi there im new to this site. i currently own an 01 1500 lt 4x4 and i am looking to do some minor power upgrades. the first upgrade is a CAI, just wondering if any of you guys have done this and what brands are the best for my truck. my mechanic told me that i will hear the CAI sucking the air in most of the time while driving is this true? any help would be great thank you!
Old February 1st, 2012, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

welcome to the site
well going out and buying a cai somtimes isnt the best thing your truck already has a true cold air intake on it the box is a true cold air box with that being said the intake tube is restrictive due to baffles in it to keep the sound level down
the best advice is do like most of us do buy a drop in filter like k&n or spectre(one i have) and replace the tube for a free flowing one airaid makes a kit just for that which includes the tube and the filter for around 170$ which is alot less that 300$+ for any other intake or you can do like i did buy a spectre air filter(same as k&n) 27$ brand new out the box and 60$ for an ebay cai and just use the tube and trash the rest and yes the tube will run to your stock airbox for a total of 87$ not bad

when replacing the tube the only thing you will see is better breathing of the engine and maybe some throttle response dont expect to get 10+hp or crazy numbers because it wont happen no matter what intake you put on there unless its forced intduction and yes you will hear the sound of the air sence the tube is free flowing it will have a growl around the 2k-5k rpm range sounds pretty cool if you ask me

well i hope this helped
Old February 1st, 2012, 3:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Exactly what i'd have told you
Old February 1st, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

that was very helpful thanx! i was looking at cai on ebay for 100 im not paying 300+ for one. i was into the sport compact scene before i bought my truck so i know what to expact from the cai. agina thank you!
Old February 1st, 2012, 9:55 PM
CF Active Member

yea thank country hes the one who gave me the idea and helped me out when i had this same thought and also you can find some on ebay for 60$ like the one i found and no problem happy i could help
Old February 2nd, 2012, 5:56 AM
CF Junior Member

You might also notice and say thanks to "Country09" for his mentioning profile showing he has Bilstein 5100's shocks on his truck..He suggested those to me on my recent inquiry in fact spoke very highly of them.. I just got them on and what a huge difference in ride my 03 Silverado K1500 has..very good advice.
I will now focus on following his suggestions on the CAI and KN filter and Wheatley tune as well.
good luck
Old February 2nd, 2012, 9:59 AM
Super Moderator

Not a problem
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

is this the intake system that you are talking about?

99-07 Silverado 2500 3500 HS COLD AIR INTAKE+RED FILTER | eBay
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

sorry this one

99-07 Silverado 1500 V8 HS COLD AIR INTAKE+ BLUE FILTER | eBay
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kirkton

this intake will work, but i'd sell everything but the tube and use the stock intake like said above..but yes that's the one you need

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake