Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Computer based tuner for 2009 Silverado 5.3 with 6 speed trans

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer based tuner for 2009 Silverado 5.3 with 6 speed trans

I just got my new 2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 Z71 and love it. It replaced my 2001 Ext Cab Silverado 5.3 Z71 after 142000 miles.

So now I am going into fixing up my nice new truck and I am trying to figure out a computer based tuner. Something that I can read and clear error codes (hate having to go to a shop and getting charged $85 bucks a pop... and half the time they are wrong), change the shift points, and adjust fuel mileage. I mostly use my truck around town and on the highway. I do not tow often, but would just switch back to factory settings when I do.

Question is.... Does anyone know of a good computer based tuner/programmer (something I can hook up to my laptop) or a touch screen type tuner that could do all this?

I have never tuned my old truck and don't want to void my warranty, but with the new 6 speed the shift points are driving me crazy... less than a 1000 miles on it and going to replace the oil to Mobil 1 not sure if that will help with the shifting, but needs to be done.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 21st, 2009, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked into Superchip?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 4:48 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I have a little bit. But the support for 2009's seems a little light right now. I am not looking for a speed tune, just something that will get me more gas mileage, maybe a little more HP, and better shifting points.

Last edited by Gaidin43; May 22nd, 2009 at 4:51 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:27 AM
CF Active Member

if you are going to tune yourself, stay away from all handhelds, they are crap and will do nothing.

if you know how to tune, go with efi live or hptuners. if you dont, go with either a custom tune from nelson or blackbear performance. just email them what you want and how you want the truck to run.

i think blackbears cost $200 when all said and done, handhelds are close to twice that and cant do a 10th of what he can.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I was looking into BlackBear actually. The hand helds seem like they are getting better, but still do alot that seems to screw with the truck more so than anything else.

A few questions, since I am so new to tuning and I have read up on the forums about it before posting this.

1. Will I be able to plug my computer in to read the codes and such with a custom tune from BB or otherwise?
2. Will I be able to switch back to stock easily without voiding my warranty before I bring it into service?
3. Will any of this tuning effect the truck long term (5 years + life time min)?
Old May 23rd, 2009, 3:16 PM
CF Active Member

1. not sure what you mean there, since justin would actually tune the computer himself, he just sends you a new pcm/tcm since you have a nnbs truck. you dont really plug anything into the truck except for the new computer, unless you send him yours then he tunes that.
2. unfortunately no. you would have to pay to keep your stock pcm & tcm to return back to stock tunning. that being said, the dealership would have to prove that the tune caused your issues before they can void your warrenty. a tune is not going to make your windows stop rolling up, so that kinda bs they cant deny. only if you blow up your trans and it was caused by the tune. which usually is unlikely.
3. the only things that really affect the life of the truck is maintanance and your right foot. if you are ***** to the walls all the time then even a stock drivetrain will give out eventually.
since my 06 only has 1 month to go on warrenty i dont have to worry about it, but you got 5yrs/60K on drivetrain only so that might make a difference. however, i believe that gm can now tell if you had a programmer on it even if you tune it back to stock. something about the computer keeping track of how many times it was accessed or some crap like that, not to sure though.
blackbear tune will make your truck run like it should from the factory and be alittle more expensive than a handheld if you keep your stock pcm/tcm.
after getting suckered into buying to hypercraps and wasting about $600, trust me shooting yourself in the foot would be less painful.
good luck and let us know what you decide.