Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Conversion, automatic to standard

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 3:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Conversion, automatic to standard

Okay I have a 99 silverado 1500 5.3 z71. My transmission has acting up a little bit so im looking at my options and seeing if anyone can help me. This truck would be perfect with a standard. If your wondering why anyone would do this i'm 18 and basically run my truck like a camaro. I just did a motor swap and put a from a 04 with a 5.3 in her. Here is what im not sure about. I believe i have the 3:73 rear end, but does anyone know would i have to change the rear end or transfer case. I know ill have to remove my center console, install stick and put in a clutch, but im worried about the technical things. Also, i need this to last so does chevy or anyone offer a standard for my truck that is as reliable as the automatics? I appreciate what yall have to say
Old March 2nd, 2012, 7:54 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the silverados did come with a standard, so you can definitly find the parts to do your swap. I would suggest spending a little extra money on the clutch and clutch master. I did a manual swap on my old 98 Camaro SS and went the extra mile on a few items that really made a difference. I would start your search for the important parts like the pedals and get a list going of everything you need, or find a donor truck with everything in one shot. theres going to be alot of nickel and dime stuff that adds up quickly
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

I did an auto to standard trans and engine swap on a 1982 GMC. If you can get all the OEM parts to replace it, thats awesome, but what I did was take a clutch pedal from tractor supply, a rod and pipe, a bunji cord and some springs. The same type of pedal on you'd use on building a back yard tractor and used that instead of hunting down all the stock parts. cut a hole in the floor board for the shifter and put a rubber floor mat on the shifter rod to keep dirt, noise and air from coming up from under the truck.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Awesome, I'll definately start making a list. Thanks for the quick feedback. If anyone else has something to say about it i would like to hear what yall got to say