Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Coolant leak on 2002

Old February 4th, 2008, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak on 2002

My 02 Silverado leaks coolant directly under the engine. I can see drops hanging from the oilpan, but I cannot figure out where it is coming from. It is not coming from the weep hole in the water pump. It appears to be coming from up around where the coolant reservoir hoses are. I cannot tell exactly where but I do know that is does it only when it is at operating temperature. I can smell it when I have been driving it, and once it is parked I can come back later and it will have leaked.

While at my uncles house last month, we went to dinner in his truck, a 2001 model Silverado, and it turns out that his is doing the same thing. Is this an inherent problem for some of the older Silverado's? Does anyone know anything about this and where it might be coming from?
Old February 4th, 2008, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Coolant leak on 2002

I have the same problem..i have an '01 silverado and it leaks coolant too..i took it to the dealer and they said that its leaking from the water pump..that might be where its leaking from
Old February 5th, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Active Member

just because you cant see it leaking from the wep hole doesnt mean the water pump isnt leaking. it could be leaking the gasket... as time passes that gasket starts to get hard and will start to crack.. if u have green coolant in there u can go buy a black light for like 40-45 $ and turn all the lights off in the garage and shine it on there and the green coolant will glow a neon green.. maybe that will help u find out where its coming from...
Old February 5th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I didn't think about a light. I may do that. Maybe hit the engine with a pressure washer, then once it dries, crank it and get under there with a light and see what I can find.
Old February 5th, 2008, 3:01 PM
CF Active Member

k well let me know what u find
Old December 31st, 2008, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

My 99 Sub is leaking coolant at the back top of the engine area, I can put fluid in without the engine running and it dribbles out on the driveway. I was told there is a coolant hose at the back of the intake manifold, can't see it if there is and what is this going to cost to fix?
Old January 1st, 2009, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 03 with the same problem. I took it in to a dealership they said it was the gasket between the engine and waterpump. I am about to tackle that problem this week.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Smile 03 suburban antifreeze leak

Originally Posted by Sooner69
I have an 03 with the same problem. I took it in to a dealership they said it was the gasket between the engine and waterpump. I am about to tackle that problem this week.
Hi,my name is edwin ,i am new to this forum, the leak that many people
see, but cant seem to find where it comes from is from the rear oring gasket on the water pump, many people say its all over under the motor
This is because of the fan,when in motion it spreads all the antifreeze
i had the same problem ,i could even see anti freeze on the alternator
and on the serpentine belt,and even under the power steering pump.
i took my suburban and drove it ,pedat to the metal arond the block
and return home and check for leaks and saw nothing, after around
half hour later i checked again and it was leaking from behind the waterpump rear oring seal. Hope this info, help many others who cant seem to find the problem.
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Plugs

There are some kind of plugs that are under or on the moter that can leak too just can't think of the name