Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise Control kicking out

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control kicking out

I did a quick search of the threads here and all the problems I see don't fit my case.

My 2008 silvarado's cruise control kicked out/off unexpectedly this morning when I did things with the turn signal / light stalk. For example, when I flipped to high beams, the cruise kicked off as if I'd hit cancel. When I did it again, the cruise stayed on. When I used my turnsignal to change lanes, again it kicked off.... but not when I did it again. And one more clue... The first time it happened was when I flipped the highbeams on and I also heard a bit of static in the radio (FM radio station).

I'm starting to suspect the headlight switch is screwy and putting a spike in the electrical system that is large enough to kick the cruise control out.

The truck is bone stock and I seldom drive it at night. Drove it to work today because my work-car is in the shop for hitting a deer.

Anyone else seen this?
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Sounds like a short in that switch assy or the column but im am not up on how that truck is wired or setup
Old June 4th, 2012, 3:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ai4px,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your cruise control. There may be an issue with the switch, another possibility is the ECM needs to be reprogrammed. These are only suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician, and have the vehicle inspected, for a more accurate diagnosis.

Please keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 30th, 2020, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ai4px,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your cruise control. There may be an issue with the switch, another possibility is the ECM needs to be reprogrammed. These are only suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician, and have the vehicle inspected, for a more accurate diagnosis.

Please keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
what was the problem. I having same issues as we speak. And they don't have a clue to what it is.