Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Dash gauges, and PRNDL lights out.

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2013, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gauges, and PRNDL lights out.

I have an 04 Silverado 2500 HD.
I know the dash clusters have been a problem with this model, but mine doesn't seem to fit the pattern I've read about OR with buddies who've had dash clusters to be replaced. In theirs, some of the gauges would not work.
In mine..ALL of the gauges and the PRNDL light will not come on after I crank it....SOMETIMES.
Then, out of the blue they'll just come back on while I'm driving down the road. They only go OFF when it's turned off, not while driving.
I've found the ground to the battery to the frame and cleaned it up and that didn't seem to make a difference.
I will say that recently I had the alternator go out, I replaced that and after the batteries charged for a day or so, they came back on and have worked 99% of the time.
But yesterday, they wouldn't come on for 1/2 the day. Then late last night I was driving and BOOM, the dash lit up and they all came back on.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mark
Old May 19th, 2013, 4:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd pull the IP out and re-seat the connectors to the panel... fully unplug and plug them back in... check for any corrosion on the connections...
I'd also check the fuses, make sure they are all fully seated, wiggle them and re-seat as needed.
if you search the forum for "instrument" you will find many post with other helpful info... some include howto pictures and part number where applicable

It sounds like what you have is intermittent connection...
Old May 19th, 2013, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I'd pull the IP out and re-seat the connectors to the panel... fully unplug and plug them back in... check for any corrosion on the connections...
I'd also check the fuses, make sure they are all fully seated, wiggle them and re-seat as needed.
if you search the forum for "instrument" you will find many post with other helpful info... some include howto pictures and part number where applicable

It sounds like what you have is intermittent connection...
Thanks man.
I've checked the fuses and even changed em out.
This video shows a guy pulling the instrument panel.
You talking about just pulling it and then reseating that one plug that plugs into the back?
*Disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic, but I can launch a rocket if I get instructions.
Old May 19th, 2013, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, that is where I would start, its free and a good first place to start...
It could also be a broken trace on the circuit board of the IP or a loose or poorly connected IC device...
FYI you can drive your vehicle without the IP installed should you opt to send it out for repair, but keep in mind you will not have any gauges or other informative or important information displays.... i.e. speed, over temp, fuel level...
be sure know your fuel level or fill up prior to removal should you take and keep it out for any period of time
Old May 20th, 2013, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Excellent.
I'm going to wait until it does it again and stays off for a period of time and check it to see if it restores the power to the IP.
It's weird.
Sometimes it just fires right up like it's new.
Then other days, like today I crank;..it takes maybe 5-10 seconds and then the dash lights up and the gauges all fire up.
But before I do anything....
I've got to find my 'Panel Removal Tool'. LOL.
Old June 13th, 2013, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

It's definitely a loose connection or something. I've found that if I just give a little light pat on the top of the dash over the gauges, they come on.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

id be banking on the cluster being bad but no guarentees since im not there to play with it