Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Delayed hard shift from 1-2

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2013, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed hard shift from 1-2

I just bought an 03 silverado with 194000, the fluid still looks and smells good but when taking off it revs higher than it should then shifts harder than it should into second gear, after that it shifts just fine like it should. Any suggestions?
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be experiencing 2 separate issues. The hard shift into second may be a bad valve in your transmission since all other gear shifts are fine. My truck started doing that at about 110K but it was just noticeably harder not really a slam. I had a local shop do a service on it (fluid, filter, gasket etc) he ran a flush additive before draining it completely and that solved my problem I'm at 140K now and running fine.no problems.

The high revs i got after removing the throttle body to clean it. I sprayed it down and cleaned it good. You need to try to not move the butterfly if possible. After putting it back it idles high(@1200) for a while and it also revved high in gear(around the same). The park idle fixed itself after about 20 minutes of letting it idle. The gear revs went away after driving it about 50 miles.

If it's throwing any codes you should start there. Mine actually threw a TPS code so I cleaned the TB. The tranny didn't throw a code.
Good luck!
MAD!