Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dex-Cool?

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2010, 9:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dex-Cool?

Hey, um i was just wondering what is the difference between regular coolant and GM Dex-Cool coolant. and is it really that important that I only use Dex-Cool in my truck. I only ask this because there aren't any stores near me that carry it. I live in the country so I'd have to order it online by the case of 6, plus shipping. I dont really want to do that when I can get Peak for 12 dollars just down the road. Thanks for reading.
-Chris
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

i dont know anything about dex cool personally. i dont use it. ive only used prestone, but i have heard about people "claiming" that dex cool is corrosive and how it ate up their heater core, radiator, and water pump. personally i would just run done the the store to pick up the antifreeze than getting it online.
Old September 17th, 2010, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Well the sticker next to my cap say DEX-COOL only but I didnt want to have to use it so I asked. Lemme tell ya if what you say is true about dex cool corroding and eating up those parts than I REALLY dont want to use it. But in certain engines like mine where it says I MUST use it is that true? or does it make a difference?
Old September 17th, 2010, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

Dex-Cool (the orange fluid) is a type of coolant not a brand name. Yes, you have to use dex-cool in a system that requires it (most GM vehicles). However, different manufacturers make Dex-Cool fluid. Prestone is one of them. I believe Prestone also makes a fluid that can be put into any type of system if you are just TOPPING OFF. But you will NEED to use the actual Dex-Cool fluid for a complete system flush. Again it doesn't matter the manufacture (Prestone, GM, etc). However, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

You can go to Prestone's website to learn more.

In regards to GFD's comment, you are absolutely correct. If you use Dex-Cool in a system that originally was designed for the original fluid (green) then I have seen numerous incidents of corrosion build up on the water pump, thermostat, and any other metal housing the fluid traveled through. This corrosion doesn't come off either.

Remember, if your system came with orange, stick with orange. If it came with green, stick with green.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Old September 17th, 2010, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you use the search tool at the top of the forum..there is a thread that explains all of this.
Old September 17th, 2010, 9:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck had the DexCool in it from the factory and when I had it flushed six months ago, I had Mr. Goodwrench put in DexCool again. Since he works at the dealer, that's all they use. However, he said the biggest problem is not necessarily one or the other - but that you cannot mix them. Apparently, one will break down the other or something like that.

My Silverado will always get DexCool, but my other vehicle gets Prestone or other "green" stuff. I used to have a Toyota 4Runner and the coolant in it was PINK.
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh wow thanks guys...sry Im new to the forum, didnt know there was already a thread for this. sry and thanks again
Old September 18th, 2010, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

my buddy poured green coolant into his system that had orange coolant and his coolant turned to a brownish mud. had to have complete system boiled out.

I have always run the orange, when i had a new water pump installed they filled the system with a yellow colored coolant that said it mixed with both color coolants.

must work ok as that was 25K ago and the truck is still running fine.

if you change from all orange to all green be sure to clean your system very good before installing the green coolant.
Old September 18th, 2010, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SilveradoMan
Oh wow thanks guys...sry Im new to the forum, didnt know there was already a thread for this. sry and thanks again
your fine.. i tried searching for the post since its a few months back but i had to go in a hurry..
Old September 18th, 2010, 6:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Haha thanks. my trucks got 186,000 miles on it anyway so im just going to flush out the old dex cool and start using the regular Peak that i can buy down the street

Quick Reply: Dex-Cool?