Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Direction&temp on mirror

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direction&temp on mirror

I have a 2000 Z71 and I have been noticing that my outside temp and direction on my rear view mirror is not always working and if I squeeze the spot where it reads on the mirror it works and sometimes will stay on anyone know a simple fix without having to replace the mirror I haven't done any research yet thanks for any help
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you may require a new mirror, but you can try a few things to check that it isn't a wiring short. Has the truck ever had a new windshield? As it is a 2000, I expect that it has. Often when they remove the windshield, they can cut the wires around the mirror. When you put pressure on the mirror, you may be reseating the wires and allowing power to flow to the compass / temperature display. You could remove trim around the headliner and review the wiring and see if by moving the wires you get the display to go on and off. (Please make sure that you have a few extra fuses, (15 amp) should need them, before you start into this. If you find that the movement of the wires fixes the mirror display, trace the wire a repair it. It would be best to cut the wire, add a heat shrink tube to it, solder the ends and shrink the tube around the connection, (if possible)

Good luck with your repair.