Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disable ABS - 2000 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable ABS - 2000 Silverado

Hi all,
I just bought a 2000 Silvereado 4x4 5sp Std Cab. The ABS module is "blown" but the brakes work fine.
I don't think I'll repair it, it's pretty expensive and I'll only be using it forodd chores here and there.
Ihave three questions:
1) Is it possible todisable/disconnect the ABS warning lightin the dash?
2)Is it possible todisable/disconnect theBrake/Parking brakewarning lightin the dash?
and
3) Does the Check/Service engine light come on when the ABS module is disconnected? If so, is there a way to disable that? I don't want to disable the check engine light, just the effects of the defective ABS.
Thanks in advance for any help. I've found many an answer from this forum...
Old May 31st, 2009, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 sylverado 4 door pick up. the ABS activates when stepping on the brake at slow speed which causes the truck to move foward a short distance before stopping .. I corrected this problem by removing the 60amp curcuit breaker for the ABS but now the abs and brake warning lights are on all the time .is there any way to turn off these lights .
Old May 31st, 2009, 8:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm wondering if it will pass state inspection without the ABS since that is a safety item
Old May 31st, 2009, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

The abs is not part of the nys vehical inspection .
Old May 31st, 2009, 5:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The ABS may not be a safety item, but if the red brake light is on, then the vehicle does not pass safety

The only way to disable the lights is to take the cluster apart and either put black tape over the light, or disable the LED.
Old May 31st, 2009, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only if your get a DOT inspection does the ABS have to work
Old May 31st, 2009, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

A simple switch would be great. Turn it on while driving above 40 and turn it off below.
Somebody mentioned a way of modulating the ABS system.
I feel mine is way too sensitive, if I could change it I would.
Old October 12th, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GRAY HAIR
I have a 2000 sylverado 4 door pick up. the ABS activates when stepping on the brake at slow speed which causes the truck to move foward a short distance before stopping .. I corrected this problem by removing the 60amp curcuit breaker for the ABS but now the abs and brake warning lights are on all the time .is there any way to turn off these lights .
The problem is a faulty wheel speed sensor. You can take it out and clean it, but it will probably come back until you replace your sensors. It's not too expensive and doesn't have anything to do with the pump itself.
Old October 14th, 2009, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by lukemoore646
only if your get a DOT inspection does the ABS have to work
I looked at a truck today that was totaled, the guy said if reused it needs a DOT inspection. I assume more expensive and timely for sure Huh?
Old October 15th, 2009, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

You might consider getting a performance programmer,they run somewhere under $350. Jet Chips makes a great one, easy to use, and you can completely disable your ABS along with all the light issues. the programmer will also increse your milage and HP -well worth the money. you may need a low temp thermastat to balance things out, but thats relativly cheap and easy too.

Quick Reply: Disable ABS - 2000 Silverado