Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tilt the wheel and it shuts down!!

Old October 31st, 2009, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tilt the wheel and it shuts down!!

Ok I have a 2003 silverado 2500 hd just bought it a couple months ago love the truck runs great rides nice then all of a sudden at the store it won't start lucky I was able to get it jump started was a little harder than normal for what I thought was a dead battery. Got it home ran well once started, shut it down won't start throw a good battery in it tried it nothing had lights,radio,horn just wouldn't start. Ok check the starter jumped across the solienode it spun but wouldn't ingage so down to the part store get a starter install turn the key nothing nothing on the cluster except for battery light still have head lights ,horn everything else just won't start old starter was bad bench tested it, going mad at this point sit in the truck mad just happen to move the tilt wheel with the key turned on and all of a sudden cluster comes on everything normal turn the key starts right up no problems so I move the tilt wheel up all the way shuts down so I think I've found the problem remove the lower covers to see whats going on with the wires everything looks fine so with it running I watch wires as i move the tilt wheel up the truck shuts down there is a wiring harness that has about 10 wires in it at the bottom of the colunm now with the tilt wheel all the way up the truck will not start but if I move this wiring harness just the little bit the cluster comes on and it will start if I move the tilt wheel down to a driving position its fine everything is fine even if I move the wires all around can't get it to not start but if running and put it all the way up it will shut down can't figure it all out and now I notice sometimes not all, the battery light is on very very faint stays on when started for a little while then goes out I'm not good with electrical problems if anyone has any ideas let me know other than that the truck runs great as long as I keep the tilt wheel down in the driving postion
Old October 31st, 2009, 4:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Sounds like either a shorted wire touching in your steering column, or a loose or bad ignition switch.

Check the connections between the steering wheel lock cylinder and the ignition switch. Check to see that the ignition switch is firmly attached.
Old November 8th, 2009, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

if the cluster is going bad will it have the same problem? because now the gauges and speedometer are acting up
Old November 8th, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
Sounds like either a shorted wire touching in your steering column, or a loose or bad ignition switch.
Exactly.....
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
CF Active Member

I had same problem on a 2005 Tahoe. It was the locking tab for the harness to the ign. switch. Just used a zip tie to hold connector togethre until I replaced connector.
Have not had problem happen again.
You need to remove both bottom and top covers of column.