Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Disable Headlight sensor 2000 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2008, 8:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disable Headlight sensor 2000 Chevy Silverado

Not sure about the online status, as long as the message posts then why bother, it only indicates wheather you are logged in or not. No problems, if you want to add something, just hit the edit button in the upper right corner of your post, that is if someone hasn't responeded before you edit, but if someone has responed then just add a new post (message)to your thread. Everybody gets their chance at being new.
Old October 25th, 2009, 3:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Disable headlights

Not sure how disable sensor, but if you want to turn off headlights, just push your dome override button 4 times. This turns off the headlights or running lights.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2001 silverado and tried the dome light override button 4 time trick... its awsome.. killing all the lights at night...but still have to figure out why my daylight driving lights went out and reverted to headlights all the time day or night.. checked the dash senser and its still on the dash working.. all fuses are good and bulbs are new.. any suggestions?

Last edited by lumpiester; August 9th, 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 7th, 2013, 1:46 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Does anybody know how to bypass the..headlight and or parking lights must be on in order for the fog lights to be able to be turned on
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coldb
There is this dome button override feature on certain models of the 2000 Silverado which is only a temporary fix. I don't have the feature on my model Chevy. In any event, I'm looking for a permanent change and elimination of this whole stupid configuration in my truck. Thanks for your interest!
I looked into do the same to my '99 silverado. The daylight sensor acts as a variable resistor when exposed to changes in sunlight intensity. The trucks computer detects this change and turns on the headlights accordingly. I was able to disable this feature in my truck. It takes a little work but I pulled the trim on the dash, removed the radio and was able to reach the daylight sensor. I disconnected the sensor and put a 100 ohm resistor in the plug. This makes the truck think it's daylight 24/7 and the headlights will only turn on when the switch is turned. I haven't experienced any side effects yet, keeping my fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
Noose_not_Bowtie (June 26th, 2023)
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, i am new to the forum. I hsve a 2001 suburban, and i need to know how to get the front domelight housing off the ceiling to replace a broken switch and light.