Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Does my truck have a transmission cooler on it?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my truck have a transmission cooler on it?

I have a 1997 z-71, havin some issues with engine losin power just wonderin if it comes stock with a tranny cooler or how do i tell if it has had one put on it?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
CF Active Member

im pretty sure all automatic transmissions have a trans cooler stock could be wrong though
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that i am questioning what the heck trannie cooler has to do with engine slowly losing power....

1. you can pull VIN and call dealership.
2. you can grab a flashlight, crawl under the bumper, and look underneath the radiator. see narrow additional radiator, with hydraulic fittings and lines running to trannie?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

i am losing all power when i am pulling trailer, don't do it til its on a hill or been runnin a while. And i mean all power, i let off the gas a little and it catches and goes but when i floor it again it bogs until i lose all power completely and can't move at all i have been told if tranny gets hot that happens?????????
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by e-hall
i am losing all power when i am pulling trailer, don't do it til its on a hill or been runnin a while. And i mean all power, i let off the gas a little and it catches and goes but when i floor it again it bogs until i lose all power completely and can't move at all i have been told if tranny gets hot that happens?????????
sorry to hear this. sucks, of course.
so, is your engine losing power, or transmission is not capable of transferring power to the drive wheels?
as it starts looking like you have wet clutches worn out so much, that under load, they simply do not function any more. or, in layman english, trannie slips beyond functionality.
you should be able to tell though, as it is quite jerky feeling.

i know that overheating ENGINE will put trannie into what is called limp mode, basically, disabling trannie to prevent major damage to the powertrain.....

oy, forgot to ask the simple one: when was the last ATF change?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for ur help but no jerking at all and engine is not overheating at all stays at normal temp. i did give it a tune up last month cap,rotor,plugs but not enough cash for wires. Maybe wire issue? TPS issue? air issue ? i am lost and my mechanic cannot figure it out but he did say my timing was way off retimed it to just do it again. Again thanks for your help
Old May 26th, 2009, 4:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Next Q:

When was your last transmission FILTER change? A slowly clogging xmission filter can rob you of a lot of power and gas mileage.

Obviously, it's more noticeable under a heavy load. Z71s are generally designed with built-in the oomph to get you there and back, which leads me to believe something's been ignored(or accidentally missed) in the vehicle's maintenance.

Last edited by therewolf; May 26th, 2009 at 4:57 PM.
Old May 26th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it do it right away or only after driving for a long time? Do you have ANY issues while not towing?
Old May 26th, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by e-hall
he did say my timing was way off retimed it to just do it again.
can you explain this? retimed? maybe retarded? timing is timing - advanced gives you more pep, retardation gives you less power....
of course, it is hard to blame on timing only...
it just still looks like trannie giving up at load. guys are right - ANY symptoms without load?
did you read codes?

also, you said - no jerkiness. yet, one of your posts says "catches and goes". that's jerk on my book. that's what keeps me thinking - it's slipping trannie.

so, when was the last time trannie maintenance was done?
Old May 27th, 2009, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

here is a update on my POS.had tranny serviciced 3 weeks ago new filter oil. said no shavings in pan and oil looked good. so my mechanic took it for a spin yesterday with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. top of the hill it did it again (EMPTY NO LOAD), fuel pressure was good he said stayed consistent around 40 or 50 the whole time. he said it was not shifting right or at the right moments. so he had a TPS from a distributor laying around so he swapped them out, also said he would clean the MAF. Hope it works (GOD i hope this works). Going on a trip tomorrow with me trailer WISH ME LUCK

Quick Reply: Does my truck have a transmission cooler on it?