Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dome lights off and cargo lamp Message says On

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2011, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome lights off and cargo lamp Message says On

Today I was tryin to get my radar detector hooked up to my dome light power therefore, I won't have to have it hooked up to the cigarette lighter and it can sit up in my tint strip. When I hooked the wires up to the dome light plug in the radar detector came on no problem. Although when I went to push them back I guessing I pushed them too far and they touched each other making it arch and smoke when this happened the dome lights went out and the message display said cargo lamp on and whenever I change the cargo lamp on and off it doesnt make a difference it still has this message. I've checked the fuses that I assume it would be and nothing is blown. Am I missing a fuse or something that I should be checking or what?? Any suggestions? It's bothing the crap outta me
Old February 24th, 2011, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

there is an accessory fuse in the dash pannel and the cargo light is under the hood. Maybe try disconnecting your battery for an hour and let the computer reset. I dont know what else to tell you to try....
Old March 29th, 2021, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=chrismx104;173918]Today I was tryin to get my radar detector hooked up to my dome light power therefore, I won't have to have it hooked up to the cigarette lighter and it can sit up in my tint strip. When I hooked the wires up to the dome light plug in the radar detector came on no problem. Although when I went to push them back I guessing I pushed them too far and they touched each other making it arch and smoke when this happened the dome lights went out and the message display said cargo lamp on and whenever I change the cargo lamp on and off it doesnt make a difference it still has this message. I've checked the fuses that I assume it would be and nothing is blown. Am I missing a fuse or something that I should be checking or what?? Any suggestions? It's bothing the crap outta me [/QUOTE

I have a 99 gmc Sierra and it is doing the exact same thing. I changed the bulb in the glove box and now no interior lights work and the cargo dash light will not go off. Its very annoying. I've checked fuses also and no luck. If someone knows something else to try i would appreciate it.
Old March 31st, 2021, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 265 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallon Rogers
I have a 99 gmc Sierra and it is doing the exact same thing. I changed the bulb in the glove box and now no interior lights work and the cargo dash light will not go off. Its very annoying. I've checked fuses also and no luck. If someone knows something else to try i would appreciate it.
Try removing the bulb in the glove box and see if normal operation returns. If it does, there’s a fault in the glove box circuit that’s only present when the bulb is installed and current can flow. The easy fix is to live without the glove box light.

The courtesy fuse (20A) in the instrument panel fuse block is what powers all the interior lamps such as glove box, vanity mirrors, etc.