Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dual Exhaust on a 1996 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust on a 1996 Chevy Silverado

Hello Chevy forum! I have used this site for research and figured I might as well sign up!

So my delimma:
I have a stock 1996 2500 Silverado with a 454 Vortech, and have decided true duals with Glasspacks are in its near future. I will have this done at a shop because I haven't got the means or knowledge to do a decent job myself. But, I figured I should know exactly what I want when I walk into my local shop. Here's the plan: The pipes run as true duals into the muffler (as you probably know) then the muffler has a single out. I figured the cheapest and easiest way to do this is leave the pipes up to the muffler, put one glasspack per pipe (which means they will be side by side, and yes there is space for that, as you prolly know) and run two tailpipes side by side out where the stock one is now.

Does anybody see any reason this should not work?

Also, I believe the inlets on the Glasspacks should be 2.5" to fit the original pipes, can anyone confirm this?

BTW, I like the sound of Glasspacks, no they sound like crap comments please. THANKS!
Old June 27th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

seems like that should work. not sure on the tail pipe size. might be bigger than 2.5 with you having a big block. you relize with glass packs it should be pretty loud.
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Tail pipes seem to be same as the pipes before the muffler. If they're bigger, it's only by a quarter or maybe half inch. I will have the shop check; I just wanted to be ahead of the game, so to speak. And yes, I realize it will be loud Although I'm keeping my cats, so that should keep it bearable.

Thanks for the reply, this truck was my grandpa's pride and joy, and I just don't wanna do something stupid.

EDIT: One other concern. I hear that you lose power with glasspacks. Any truth to this? And if so, how much power is lost?

Last edited by MasterofPuppets; June 27th, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old June 28th, 2010, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

ive got the same setup on my 96 but ive got a 350 and i had headers put on. everyone ive talked to about glasspacks and from what ive noticed is that ur bottom end power drops a little bit but ur top end gains a little. that might just be from the headers but mine still runs like a bat outta hell also i got rid of the cats
Old June 28th, 2010, 6:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had dual exhaust (Flowmasters) put on my 2004 Silverado 5.3L and it sounds GREAT. I have dual cats - with a pipe and muffler (true duals) for each side, and have them going straight out the back.

I had a shop do it, though it did cost more than a "do it yourself" job. However, they guarantee them for life and I don't have any worries about our state inspection rules here.

Some pics are shown below:

"There is no replacement for cubic displacement!"

"If it's too loud, then you're too old."Name:  FlowmasterExhaustSystem.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  TrueDualExhaust.jpg
Views: 9639
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  FlowmasterExhausts-2.jpg
Views: 3869
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  FlowmasterExhaust-1.jpg
Views: 8348
Size:  63.8 KB
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

^Nice. All new pipe? Or did you salvage any old pipe. Cost?

I would go Flowmaster, but I'm very short on money. Maybe later when the money's right,..

Originally Posted by donjuandejohnson
ive got the same setup on my 96 but ive got a 350 and i had headers put on. everyone ive talked to about glasspacks and from what ive noticed is that ur bottom end power drops a little bit but ur top end gains a little. that might just be from the headers but mine still runs like a bat outta hell also i got rid of the cats
Well, my 454 has plenty of power, as long as the drop is small I can't see having a problem. Thanks.

BTW, what did it cost minus the headers?

Last edited by MasterofPuppets; June 28th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 29th, 2010, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

I like your plans! Let me know how it works! We have a 1996 Suburban 2500 with a 454 (check out my CarDomain pages) and it currently has a Flowmaster that needs replaced but we are now thinking about doing what you are doing! I think its a great idea and would love to see it done!
Old June 29th, 2010, 5:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets
^Nice. All new pipe? Or did you salvage any old pipe. Cost?

I would go Flowmaster, but I'm very short on money. Maybe later when the money's right,..

It was done with new parts - nothing old or used. I got the "50 Series" Flowmasters, and they sound great.

The total cost was almost $600 - including the long chrome tips and a lifetime warranty. However, mine is "true" dual exhaust; and it would have been $150 less to have a single muffler going out through dual pipes. Not for me; as I wanted the real deal for my Chebby.
Old June 29th, 2010, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

^ I totally understand

I was just going to hold off until I could get true duals, but then I realized how little would have to be done for true duals. I just noticed how it was set up about a week ago when I had to replace the starter solenoid.

SierraPower: Will do, but I still have a couple more weeks of saving up to do first