Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dying and no re-start

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dying and no re-start

I recently aquired a 92 Chevrolet stepside reg. cab with a 4.3 and 5-speed trans. Ive only driven it a few times but when im driving and come to a stop, it idles real low, idles really high (probably because it almost chokes out?) And keeps doin that. I have to keep feathering the gas to keep it running. It has died on me a few times, but started up right after. The last time I drove it, it idled like I said before, and it died. I tried to restart it and it didnt want to. I pulled it behind my buddy's truck and it hesitated to keep running but it finnally did. I drove it around the block and then tried to back it in my driveway and it died again. And never started back up. Two weeks later I went outside to see if it would start and it started right up. Still with the goofy idling problem. Ive noticed the idle problem during both cold running and running temps. Winter temp and summer temp. One of my chevys before had a similar problem where it would die and not want to start back up, but if u gave it a couple hours it would be fine, and run perfect. I changed the c
Ignition module and it fixed the problem. That was an auto trans truck though. I think I may have the same problem with my current truck? If someone might recognize this problem or have a logical idea as to what is wrong, please respond.

Last edited by camo4evr; March 26th, 2013 at 6:11 AM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 6:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to have the intake vacuum checked. If it is revved up in neutral, and the vacuum drops as the rpms rise you have a clogged exhaust system-likely the catalytic converter. Also when its warm and won't start check for spark at the plugs. If no spark, then it could be an ignition module or crank sensor. But my bet is on the catalytic converter.