Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E-85

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts
Default E-85

I just bought a new Silverado . I was just wandering what everybody thought of the E85 gas. Is it worth using? Does it harm the engine? Does it affect the gas mileage? I just wanted to hear opinions.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E85 will reduce your fuel mileage by about 20 percent. I won't go into the information on how it takes as much to process one gallon of ethanol as it is supposed to save in gasoline, but there is a wealth of info out there on why NOT to use it. And only limited info on reasons to use. (Also mention that is is (or at least was last I checked) against FAA regs to use ethanol based fuels in aircraft...except for experimental purposes with a FAA waiver).

Even if I could get it here where I live, I would not use it in my Silverado. E10 is the highest I'll go.

We were supposed to use it, if available, in GM company cars/trucks and in the Detroit area there were quite a few stations. The majority of those stations were around GM/Ford or Chrysler facilities...wonder why!

My opinion, and that is all it is, ethanol flex fuel is a big BS story and a rip off.

Again, all my opinion....
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

matches my opinion
Old June 29th, 2013, 3:40 AM
CF Junior Member

I'll second that, or would it be 3rd that? I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan that's a flex fuel vehicle and is supposed to run off E-85 so I gave it a try just for the heck of it. I was down to about 1/8 of a tank and filled it up with the CRAP. It ran like garbage, was hard starting and the power and mileage was also crap. Sure it's a bit cheaper but the mileage, power and starting ease you lose doesn't make up for the price.

Last edited by 99 Silverado 3 door; June 29th, 2013 at 3:42 AM.