Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric Fan install

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Electric Fan install

Reading as many of these threads as possible, I've seen from various comments that replacing the cooling fan powered by the engine with a comparable ELECTRIC Fan, would :
get better performance
better mileage.
quieter.
Are there any other benefits beside these? Has anyone done this alread?
What brand and what size electric fan must be used.
MY truck had a snow plow package, not used for plowing ..however it came with a HD cooling package which most likely has a high capacity fan...
Can anyone tell me what size and what brands are out there and I'd like to know and hear from others.
thanks
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what ive read gas milage increase is around .2 and it does take some strain off the engine all fans are the same it cant be any different because its ran off the motor so there no difference in the fan from what ive hear a fan of an 05 and up works fine this is a mod im looking into aswell

my personal experience
i have a 1995 oldmobile i drive sence it get better mpg than the truck i replace the eltic fan on that car its a 4 cylander i pulled a fan off a v6 and put in on there i wired it so when ever the key turns on the fan kicks on it works amazing engine stays cooler and never over heats even in stop and go traffic in 97F outside i cant tell you if increase mpg because it never was attached to the engine but works great when i put one on my truck ill do somthing simular were it starts up when the trucks running or ill run a toggle switch
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First measure your radiator, if it's 28" then you need to buy the bigger radiator(34") out of Tahoe/suburbans/2500's/05-06 silverados. Then get electric fans on out the 05-06 silverado and buy a harness from Blackbearperformance and a tune from them as well to activate it. There you go, and those are about the best 3 things that come out of it, but they helped more than I thought they would