Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 7:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Enabling Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enabling Remote start option

Hi Everyone
08 silverado z71 ext cab 4wd 5.3L
Just purchased new-to-me truck
I have the AP8 build code (prewired remote vehichle start package). Got the correct key fob with remote start button. However no response when I tryto use it. Everything I have read says I need to have dealership enable/activate it. Exactly what is activate? That seems like BS and $$. Can I do this with an OBDII tool? NOTE I dont have this optionbut If I had the add on D.I.C DRIVER INFOCENTER buttons on the dash....the manual says I can enable it or disable it using it. So why not spend the money on ebay and saddle up with the dash face and buttons to Plug in the D.I.C Just sounds like all it needs is some button pushing.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer must program the system using the VCI # that came with the correct remotes. Only the dealer can do it and you must have VCI #.It can not be done with a "scanner". Must be done with a Tech II. No VCI # no programing.It is GM way to get one more slice of the pie. Use the search bar at the top of this page to get more info.
Old December 29th, 2012, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
The dealer must program the system using the VCI # that came with the correct remotes. Only the dealer can do it and you must have VCI #.It can not be done with a "scanner". Must be done with a Tech II. No VCI # no programing.It is GM way to get one more slice of the pie. Use the search bar at the top of this page to get more info.
Thanks very much
Old December 29th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

One last thing. I know the salesman got a key fob from a grab bag box of keyfobs and kept trying until he found one that worked? He confessed as much to me and I didnt even know the truck had remote start until I read my ownets manual and the build sheet. Him finding me a key fob was part of me buying the truck. So if my Fob is not the original with VIC# am I out of luck? I will upgrading the dash to get the plug and play DIC functions. I want to get everything I can out of the truck I bought.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the kit you will buy will contain the programing release codes and the 2 new fobs.
If the fob the salesman gave you is compatible with the truck it also can be programmed to the truck. You only have 4 programming slots available so only 4 fobs in total can be programmed. I'm not sure if more than 2 slots can be used for remote start. I think you can have 2 remote start fobs but the other 2 with only work the keyless entry.

You can purchase a one way remote start kit or the more expensive 2 way kit.

For the one way kit install, they will call the gm techline and give them the release code. techline will then add the programming option for your vin to their programming site. the dealer will then download the programming to the truck and programm the fobs to the remote control door lock reciever.

Last edited by tech2; December 29th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Wow! You guys really are great. THANKS for all the information and better yet understanding. IfI ever have an answer or experience to share here I will. I've been my own mechanic since I was kid and you could sit on the fenderwell and put your feet inside the engine compartment. Things are little different now with electronics but I still get it. BTW I have the 3 factory GM service manual set from Detroit for 1999 engine series 4.6
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

4.8 5.3 and 6.0 . Iwill give them to someone who can use them. (They might have to pay to mail them). I paid $350.00 in 2000 when i ordered them new. I traded my 99 sieria in on my new silverado. There just sittin on the shelf in the garage-with a little grease on them.
Old December 31st, 2012, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

I lost one of my remotes and I simply went on ebay and bought another with the engine starter on top like the one I had. Programed it myself with included instructions. So if you know your engine start is working programing another remote should be a breeze.
Old November 6th, 2014, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Hi...2011 Silverado with AP8 code listed in the glove box....do I need to buy a new key remote AND pay the deal to active the computer..???
Old November 7th, 2014, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by eweigel2011
Hi...2011 Silverado with AP8 code listed in the glove box....do I need to buy a new key remote AND pay the deal to active the computer..???
you will have to buy a kit from the dealer that includes the fobs, programming release code and an updated rpo sticker.

Quick Reply: Enabling Remote start option