Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Light (emission) code

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2011, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light (emission) code

Hello to all, I’m new to CF and was looking for some answers to a problem that I've been having with my 2008 Silverado5.3 L crew cab. ? My engine light has come on, I wanted see if there was something that I can do before I take it to the dealer. I don't know the exact code but it’s related to an Emissions problem, there have been no problems while driving. I tried havine it cleared but it came back a day later.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Get Autozone to check when the code in on. They can tell you what loop its in.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 8:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> danyel.34,

It may just be a simple calibration update. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. If you send me your VIN number, I may be able to offer more information. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. Your certified technician will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2012, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Here is my Vin# 3GCEC13J48G201625, Thanks for taking the time to look this up for me, just it seem like alot of money for a di-test if it's a problem I can fix.
Old January 4th, 2012, 4:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you for providing your VIN number. I have researched your specific vehicle and unfortunately, am still not showing any known emissions problems. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 4th, 2012, 7:30 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danyel.34
just it seem like alot of money for a di-test if it's a problem I can fix.

Read the post above you. Autozone and those types of places will scan your truck for free and tell you the code. Then you can give us the code and we can walk you through the repair. It could be something as stupid as a loose gas cap on these trucks. I've had it happen. Take the truck to the nearest autozone or wherever you can buy parts and they should scan it for free.

The first step is to find out what code you actually are getting.