Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2015, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

HI guys im new here so please tell me if this is no where this goes but just had one question before trying to do this swap! I have a 1996 Chevy c1500 with a V8 305 vortec motor. Truck currently has 152*** miles and is in need of a new motor. iv bought a 1993 chevy 1500 that has a 350 TBI. Now heres the question, should i have any problems just performing an engine swap with these two motors?
Old August 25th, 2015, 7:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am correct you will also have to swap out the wiring harness and ECM due to the fact that the 96 engine has a different fuel delivery system. With the TBI system you also see a decrease in MPG.

Other than that the 5.7L should drop right in and bolt up just like the 305.
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Richardx2
If I am correct you will also have to swap out the wiring harness and ECM due to the fact that the 96 engine has a different fuel delivery system. With the TBI system you also see a decrease in MPG.

Alright sounds easy enough will post back with results, gonna take a shot at it this weekend
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Can I use the ECM out of the old truck no problem?
Old August 26th, 2015, 2:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine swap

What trans does each truck have? A 4l60e in a 96 has more electronics than a 93. Not sure the 93 ecm and harness will just drop in and control it properly.
Old August 26th, 2015, 7:24 AM
CF Active Member

With a good wiring harness the older ECM will work. Before the swap take good notes and pictures of the harness and connectors to make sure that you route them so they will reconnect to the sensors and double check the O2 sensor location.

And as burnhedge pointed out ensure the transmissions are compatible, you might have to use the the older transmission also.
Old August 26th, 2015, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

With a good wiring harness the older ECM will work. Before the swap take good notes and pictures of the harness and connectors to make sure that you route them so they will reconnect to the sensors and double check the O2 sensor location.

And as burnhedge pointed out ensure the transmissions are compatible, you might have to use the the older transmission also.
Alright I'll check compatability
Old August 26th, 2015, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Some are saying I need to swap the heads and injectors as well? Is this true
Old August 28th, 2015, 4:46 AM
CF Active Member

You could run the TBI setup with the swap of the ECM, the vortec setup is more efficent tho.
Old August 28th, 2015, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

You could run the TBI setup with the swap of the ECM, the vortec setup is more efficent tho.
Can I take the intake manifold off the 305 and put it on the 350?

Quick Reply: Engine swap