Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine Swap 95 Stepside

Old May 25th, 2015, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Swap 95 Stepside

Started my engine swap today, seeing how the area I am using to swap the engine does not have room to pull engine out over the front I decided to remove the front of the truck and remove the engine/transmission in a single unit.

After removing the stick from the tranny top cut a piece of coffee can lid to make a cover to keep dirt out of tranny.

Worked on truck for 8 hours and got the entire front cap removed as well as cleaning some on fenders etc... All of the work done was with simple hand tools.

Hardest part was disconnecting the A/C hoses from the evaporator, since the ends of the hose was steel and the evaporator is made of aluminum the fittings were absolutely fuse together, soaked them with WD40 let them sit and still nothing. Ended up cutting the hoses and using a dremel with the cutting blades had to peel the fittings off in 5 different parts. But I saved the evaporator.

The next few days will be spent cleaning sheet metal, battery tray etc.. then using rattle can paint the cleaned areas. Engine to be delivered Thursday.

The reason I am replacing the engine is due to a cracked head, and it is just wore out, extremely low oil pressure and getting weaker by the day.

Living in a rural area and having to scrimp and save for all that life throws at me has put my plans of a 400HP engine on hold for now, better to have the truck running than to make it yard art.

Will keep updating on the progress for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Swap 95 Stepside-049.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-001.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-004.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-008.jpg  
Old May 26th, 2015, 3:33 PM
CF Active Member

Chased rust today cleaning and painting the battery box and the lower insides of the fenders, jeez I hate body work having to clean all the rust and corrosion.

Twisted the power steering lines at the steering box, 20 years of aluminum tubing and the steel fittings caused the fittings to seize the tubing like they were welded, even sprayed them yesterday and this morning with penetrating oil to try and help them break free but they remained frozen, good thing I had the front of the engine open or else I still would be out there cussing a fussing with the fittings.

Ordered 2 body mounts for the radiator frame and a new O2 sensor, didn't take any pics today and looks like rain tomorrow so who knows what I can get done.
Old May 27th, 2015, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

Engine was delivered around 8pm last night and in addition to the engine they guy who was parting out the truck included a brake master cylinder and ash tray, I needed the insert for the ash tray but they are like finding hens teeth

The engine block code was 10243880, with 14102193 heads on it. I Looked up block code and found this:
350, 4 bolt, crate engines and ZZ4, roller cam, one piece rear seal

It does have the one piece rear seal but the "ZZ4" roller cam is questionable.

Well this morning got up and at em and first thing I noticed is that there was not any fitting for the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, hmm what to do?? Old manifolds are cracked and warped would take an act of congress to fit them and have them work properly.

Went to one the infamous shopping sites and found a set of stainless shorty headers that will bolt right up to the engine with a fitting for the O2 sensor, well that problem solved. You might think "stainless headers on a stock engine?" Well the headers will never rust and they were comparably priced with new exhaust manifolds so what the heck.

I have priced parts from major parts suppliers, you know the Zone and others and also looked online and so far the best prices for stock parts have come from Rockauto. That even includes having to pay a nominal shipping fee.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Swap 95 Stepside-002.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-009.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-headers.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2015, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Did what my ol lady calls a "redneck restoration" on the radiator framework, chased rust cleaned with wire brush and Naval Jelly, then painted the cleaned and rust affected areas with paint.

Pulled engine and tranny as one unit and then started the process to remove 20 years or grime. Whomever had the truck before I did must have allowed the engine to leak oil and the combination of years of oil leaks and road grime had created a concrete like coating over the transmission and lower cross member that will take time to correct.

Parts expected in the next few days so in the meantime I will be cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Swap 95 Stepside-001.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-003.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-010.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2015, 7:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my engine swap in my 94 the same way. Trust me, its the better way!
Old May 29th, 2015, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

Had some honeydo's tho take care of today so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked to but I, removed transmission, cleaned and roughed up flywheel and clutch pressure plate.

Also removed the oil lines and adapter from the newer engine and swapped over the oil filter adapter from old engine to the newer one. Cleaned the transmission somewhat to remove a lot of the grime that accumulated.

Reinstalled the flywheel put some blue locktite on threads torquing to specs and installed clutch and pressure plate.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Swap 95 Stepside-001.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-004.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-006.jpg   Engine Swap 95 Stepside-002.jpg