Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EVAP/Catalyst "not ready" emissions

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry EVAP/Catalyst "not ready" emissions

Hello,

Im new to the forum so please cut me some slack. I have done searching and searching for my particular issue but have found no good answer. Lets start at the beginning:

2008 Chevrolet Silver 4.8L Crew Cab

Service light came on dash. Pulled codes, needed to replace vent valve solenoid. While there, i replaced purge solenoid as well. Disconnected battery and reset codes, light has remained off. Drove truck 100 miles and took for inspection. Failed due to catalyst and evap not ready. Only need one in Texas to pass. Guy said to keep driving it, so i do. Ive now put roughly 1,200 miles on the truck and have run through my 15 day grace period and failed again.

My company has a Genisys 5.0 scanner ($4,000 setup). I now test with that to see if im going to pass or fail emissions. Ive spoken to mechanics, 6 different Houston area dealerships and no one can explain or offer advise. One dealership told me to let idle for 2.5 minutes before driving to work and then 2.5 more after i got to work before i turned off ignition. Done that numerous times to no avail. Ive also attempted the drive cycle numerous times to no avail. Dealership tells me with no codes they cant help me but im about to just drop it off and see what they can do.

I just found online where you can use the scanner to do the evap service bay test but when i try to initiate it through the Genisys scanner it says this vehicle will not work. I may not have been quite under the temp it requires so im going to let it cool out since today is chilly and try again later. From what i hear if i can initiate this test, and it passes, it will put evap in "ready" mode. I also keep the fuel tank constantly between 1/4 and 3/4 tank at all times.

Frustrating...its a 2008, no codes, no help...ridiculous.

Anyone had this much trouble?
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evap and cat monitors

old thread but will ask anyway, did you ever figure out a solution to this problem?