Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Extra gas tank

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra gas tank

I have a 94 Chevy 1-Ton that only has a 18 gal tank. My 99 has duel tanks. I pull alot of weight and I am lucky to get 90 miles out of a tank. So I have to fill up 2 times a day. I'm getting tired of filling up all the time and worried I am going to run out. What is the best way to get an extra tank on their. It will sit in the middle of the frame behind the back tires like my other truck's 2nd tank. I want to avoid a junk yard if I can. Any Ideas. Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Active Member

I was just actually looking at fuel tanks at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...part:Fuel+Tank) Asuming your truck to be a 1994 k3500 these tanks are quite a bit larger you might wanna think about just getting a 34 gallon one tank instead of going threw all the hassel of where to put another one i dont really know what kind of room your dealing with where the current tank is but just a thought hope it helps a little bit
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
CF Active Member

I don't remember when they started putting the air return lines that catch the fumes on trucks, if you have this then extra fuel tanks get rediculous to add. What people do to work around it is put toolbox like fuel tanks in the bed and then pump from them to the main tank.
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Xtra fuel tank

I checked out the fuel tanks on that store. They had tanks for 1500 and 2500 but none for a 3500. It is pretty tight where my tank is. I don't see how I would put a bigger tank their but I could be wrong.

basilkies..... I have a 1-ton flat bed and I made a dump bed with a scissor lift from an older truck. All that junk takes up alot of space. But I still have the big space behind the rear axle for the xtra tank. My 99 has one there. But the system that it is set up to run them as one tank is crazy. Both tanks act as one on the guage. It kinda averages them. The back tank pumps to the front tank when it sences that it needs to to keep them even. The front tank sends it to the engine. Who in the heck could even guess where to start and the cost of adding that would be alot. If I did get a tank that goes in that spot, I think I found one on a web site, how would I do it. The tank I'm sure is for replacing a bad one that is allready there. So all that stuff for a duel tank system is there. Any Ideas would be great.