Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Extremely Bouncy Ride After Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2011, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely Bouncy Ride After Leveling Kit

How's it going guys, I recently had a leveling kit installed on my 98 Z71 (looking back on it, I wish I had done it myself, but eh, what's done is done), and the ride is EXTREMELY bouncy. It feels like I'm driving a damn dump truck, especially when going over small, everyday bumps in the road. After a little bit of research, I think the torsion keys are cranked up too far. The only problem is, I have no idea where the torsion keys are located, much less how to loosen them. In case you can't tell, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to suspension components.

Do I need to take it somewhere for a special tool, or can I do it myself?

p.s. I can upload pictures as soon as I get home tonight, if necessary.

p.p.s. A picture of where the torsion keys are located would help a bunch
Old August 21st, 2011, 2:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the keys are cranked way to much..but with a levelin kit the ride will no doubt get rougher...look under the truck and find 2 bars (one on each side) that runs from a crossmember directly under the middle of the cab and the bars run to the lower control arm..in the crossmember the keys are inside. there's a bolt on each key that can be turned up or down...jack the front of the truck up and turn the down a few notches and bring the jack down and see how it looks
Old August 21st, 2011, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
yeah the keys are cranked way to much..but with a levelin kit the ride will no doubt get rougher...look under the truck and find 2 bars (one on each side) that runs from a crossmember directly under the middle of the cab and the bars run to the lower control arm..in the crossmember the keys are inside. there's a bolt on each key that can be turned up or down...jack the front of the truck up and turn the down a few notches and bring the jack down and see how it looks
Somebody on another forum beat you to it, but thanks! This was the issue!
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default put it back to stock

You have already realized that the ride is horrible. The more important thing is that this leveling kit will create all kings of problems with your front end in the near future.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Fail. Why would I put a leveling kit on there if I didn't need it?
Old August 27th, 2011, 1:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmastice
You have already realized that the ride is horrible. The more important thing is that this leveling kit will create all kings of problems with your front end in the near future.
I've had mine cranked for 30k miles, jut now replaced the ball joints. everything else is stock. yes it does add wear to the parts but, most of that comes when you put bigger, heavier tires under it. it's not just the levelin kit