Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time buyer with a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer with a lot of questions

Alright so I'm in the market for my first truck, pretty much narrowed it down to the 03-05 Silverado 1500s or the Sierra 1500 but I have a few questions first. First off let me also say I'm looking at getting an extended cab, 4WD, 5.3L engine, and probably the Z71 package. My boss has suggested that whatever I get, make sure it has the transmission cooler which I believe is only available on units with the towing package.

1.) What's your real MPG? I see it's rated for about 15 city and 20 highway, is that accurate for most of you?

2.) Are skid plates available for whole underside? or just the engine/transmission area?

3.) Z71 or LT trim? I see some people selling advertise as Z71 LT trim, but I thought they were two different trims. Z71 looks to have all the same options as the LT (including leather) so I'm not sure why one would chose the LT trim?

4.) If I get a 3-4" lift in the future, will that decrease the MPG?

5.) What is the motor longevity? Has the Vorec 5.3L been proven to be a quality motor that can go over 200k miles?

6.) One thing I hear people say is they feel the interior quality is kinda crappy. Would you owners say that's the case, and is the GMC Sierra interior similar?

7.) If I don't go with the towing package, can I get an aftermarket transmission cooler to install?

8.) What parts commonly go bad (interior and exterior) in these trucks?

9.) What things in particular should I check for when looking at one?

10.) Are there any parts I can add in, like a cold air intake, that will raise the MPG by 1-2?

I'm sure I'll have more questions the longer I think about it, but I figure that should be a good start for now
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Answers that I know: yes the 5.3 is a very reliable engine. Keep the oil changed and air cleaner cleaned and they just keep running.

Yes, you can get an after market trans cooler...but, the tow package is more then the trans cooler. You get trailer wiring w/plug, limited slip rear, bigger radiator.

You can get 15/20 in stock form if you keep your foot out of it.

A lift will decrease mpg.

interior quality...is in the eyes of the beholder.

I would look for a completly stock truck owened by an 82 year old
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Hmm, the towing package includes a limited slip? Because I heard I wanted the rear locking differential. None of the tow packages included that?
Old March 20th, 2012, 9:00 PM
CF Active Member

i believe that the z71 comes with a trans cooler but dont hold me to it
z71 comes with an off orad suspension skid plates off road shocks basicly a truck ment to see some mud from time to time the interior is nice to me im not sure what people look for out of a stock interior but it works for me better if you can get leather
these truck will run for as long as you take care of it my truck is a 99 silverado with a 6.0 and it has 260,000 miles before me it was owned by aninterstate company who used it to tow there stuff around and i use it to pull a 35foot camper trailer a 20 foot flat trailer for the four wheelers and from time to time bed loaded down and i just cant kill it truck is ment for work

i think some of the z71 comes with a locking rear but im not sure
by far these are awsome trucks and im my opinion best on the road
Old March 21st, 2012, 4:51 PM
CF Active Member

The z71 is your best bet if you do much off road back road driving, the seirra is basically the same truck just under the GMC name, the interior typically isnt bad its more simple to me then cheap not a whole bunch of gadgets an such, the 5.3 vortec like everyone else said will be good to you if your good to it. my friend has an 06 with a 4in lift i think he averages 12 in the city and i think 16 or so on freeways. i would suggest the tow package you never know when you will need it and i would think that if you cant find the locking diff you could probably get that installed for the same price as the tow package would be. all in all you really cant go wrong with these trucks they were built to last and built for taking a beating
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

The Z71 LT is one trim level. As far as your concerns:
Yes the 5.3 will run over 200K-I had about 230K on mine when I sold it
I got about 15-17 before upgrades, about 16-20 after
I had a 4" lift on mine and it does decrease Mileage, but it depends on what tires you have on it.
I liked the interior on mine, but thats just me
you can install a trans cooler aftermarket, as well as skid plates
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, might be wrong but both my 2000 and my 08 had the tow packages and both came with limited slips. Could be that the limited slips were a separate add on, really not sure enough to debate it, could be that I assumed it was part of the package.