Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

flaking chrome

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2013, 5:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flaking chrome

I have a set of chrome rims for my truck I got real cheap since they are flaking. I have spent a load of time searching the web for ways to remove the chrome and havent found anything yet that would confirm that it actually works. I looked into sandblasting but I currently am stationed in hawaii so things are really high over here and most places dont want to take on my project. I tried to rent a sand blaster but I cant find a place that will actually return my calls so I need some help. My original idea was to hit them with a wire wheel on the ole angle grinder and see how that works but I dont want to scar them to bad. Im also planning on either painting them or rhino lining them, has anyone tried that? Im open to any ideas you may have but Im hoping to hear things that people know will work not just what they have heard from a friend of a friend.
Old July 29th, 2013, 3:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way is to bring them to a chrome shop and have them dip into their solvent/chemicals, but this is not cheap. About sandblasting, I think it won't take off all the peeling chrome.