Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Flat towing an automatic rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2015, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat towing an automatic rear wheel drive

My head is spinning. I was told that I could tow my 2014 automatic rear wheel drive Silverado flat behind my RV. Now I'm being told that if I do it I could lose the warranty. The owners manual says different things, even suggests towing it from behind on a dolly (something I'm not willing to do - will NOT use a dolly to tow or tow on a trailer). Research has provided confusing information as well as to what I can do to the truck so that I can flat tow it and another pages takes me through steps of putting the truck in neutral and doing all these other things to make sure the steering wheel is unlocked before I tow it etc. I paid a small fortune for this truck and it only has 10k miles on it. I DO NOT want to destroy it or lose my warranty.

Does anyone out there flat tow your Silverado automatic rear wheel drive? If so how do you do it? Did you have to make modifications?

THANKS SO MUCH!!
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

The older gen 4x4 tcase could be put in a neutral position that would allow dingy towing. No 2wd will. You will destroy your trans unless you disconnect the driveshaft.
Old January 26th, 2015, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Flat towing

So I don't get the runaround again, would you mind telling me how that's done? How the driveshaft is disconnected? Is it something that I can do when I tow it or not? Thanks so much for your response!
Old January 26th, 2015, 5:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
The older gen 4x4 tcase could be put in a neutral position that would allow dingy towing. No 2wd will. You will destroy your trans unless you disconnect the driveshaft.
Comon' now,

Whoever told you that?

Allan
Old January 26th, 2015, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Haha...right in the owners manual my friend. 2000 2006 had a 3 button select auto tcase with a neutral position. With the tcase in neutral you better have the e-brake on ....the trans park pawl did nothing. It was freewheeling...no connection to the trans at all.

Last edited by tech2; January 26th, 2015 at 8:29 PM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator

<dl> <dt><a id="d47195e47">Dinghy Towing</dt> <dd>
Two-Wheel-Drive Vehicles Notice: If the vehicle is towed with all four wheels on the ground, the drivetrain components could be damaged. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not tow the vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.

Two-wheel-drive vehicles should not be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have no provisions for internal lubrication while being towed.

Four-Wheel-Drive Vehicles

Use the following procedure to tow your vehicle:

1. Shift an automatic transmission to PARK (P), or a manual transmission to FIRST (1).
  2. Turn the engine off, but leave the ignition on.
  3. Firmly set the parking brake.
  4. Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle. Caution: Shifting a four-wheel-drive vehicle's transfer case into NEUTRAL can cause your vehicle to roll even if the transmission is in PARK (P) for an automatic transmission, or if your vehicle is in gear, for a manual transmission. You or others could be injured. Make sure the parking brake is firmly set before you shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL.

5. Shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL. See Four-Wheel Drive for the proper procedure to select the neutral position for your vehicle.
  6. Release the parking brake only after the vehicle being towed is firmly attached to the towing vehicle.
  7. Turn the ignition off and leave the steering column unlocked.
</dd></dl>
Old January 26th, 2015, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MollyM
So I don't get the runaround again, would you mind telling me how that's done? How the driveshaft is disconnected? Is it something that I can do when I tow it or not? Thanks so much for your response!

it would be a pita. the driveshaft should be marked for re-installation. remove the rear driveshaft yoke retainer bolts. tape the u-joint end caps so you don't loose the caps and needle bearings. secure the rear end of the driveshaft.
This is a way to do it. Is it practical; no...be easier to dolley tow the rear wheels.

Last edited by tech2; January 26th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old January 27th, 2015, 3:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
Haha...right in the owners manual my friend. 2000 2006 had a 3 button select auto tcase with a neutral position. With the tcase in neutral you better have the e-brake on ....the trans park pawl did nothing. It was freewheeling...no connection to the trans at all.

I've read a few manuals myself. Went to work in 1968 for Chevrolet and have been repairing GM automatics ever since.

Granted, I wouldn't want to tow all over Gawd's green earth without disconnecting the driveshaft, but towing in neutral isn't going to burn the house down.......just doesn't happen. Converter oil drains back into the case and there is so much oil splashing around in there, lack of lubrication isn't an issue at all.

Allan
Old January 27th, 2015, 6:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ok. Good to know.
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default So Blonde . . .

I am usually a very intelligent person but when it comes to technical things, not so much. I had looked at 2011 GMC's and Chevy 4 wheel drive trucks. All the salesmen told me I could tow with a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive. They showed me how to do it. I couldn't trade my expensive Toyota Sequoia in on a used truck or I'd lose my rear since I still owed $16k for it so I had to buy a new 2014 Chevy Silverado to get the rebate and a better trade in price on my Sequoia. It's not the truck I wanted - I wanted an HD and 4 wheel drive but I had to keep the payments reasonable and I still lost my rear on trading in my Toyota. The salesmen told me several times I could flat tow it. I looked in the book and it said not to - he said that was a "dummy post" just like it tells you to wear your seat belts and lock the doors, etc. That Chevy didn't want to be responsible for any mishaps when towing, so they did that so most people wouldn't tow it. But that people did it every day. I wasn't too concerned because I didn't foresee getting a Class A again but since I hate towing a TT that's exactly what I'm looking to do - get a Class A and tow the truck. Looks like I will be keeping what I've got for the rest of this year then upgrading next year with a Class A and another truck that I can flat tow. Thanks for taking the time to give advice to a novice truck owner.

Quick Reply: Flat towing an automatic rear wheel drive